The information on this page relates to September 2019 entry. For 2020 information, including grade requirements, please check our prospectus.
Aberystwyth University's BSc in Marketing is an exciting and dynamic course that combines elements of marketing & consumer behaviour, digital marketing, strategic marketing, planning, psychology, management and human resources. Taught by accredited and renowned marketing experts, over the course of the degree you will develop a firm knowledge of external influences on the marketing world and the rapidly changing use of information technology and digital media for marketing purposes. Aberystwyth University is an accredited Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) Graduate Gateway Centre, which means that you can study towards a professional CIM qualification while studying for a degree, or gain exemptions for certain CIM modules in the future.
Student Satisfaction and Employability Results
Top 10 in the UK for Teaching Quality for the subject of Business & Management Studies (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019)
95% of our Business and Administrative subject students were satisfied that the staff were good at explaining things, 88 for the sector. (NSS 2019)
97% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 3% more than Business and Administrative Studies graduates nationally (HESA 2018*)
Why study Marketing at Aberystwyth?
- Our programmes are accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM).
- On successful completion you can apply for exemption from 50% of the CIM Professional Diplomas.
- Our degree equips you with the multidisciplinary understanding of marketing which employers increasingly demand.
- Taught by experts who are leading in the Marketing sector and research.
- We have arrangements with many partner universities overseas to deliver short academic programmes (2 weeks) to small groups of management and business students (on a self-funding basis), to enable you to experience the impact of the cultural environment when conducting business abroad. We currently have partner universities in India, China, Russia, Japan, the United Arab Emirates and Brazil and our portfolio of countries is rapidly expanding.
Students at the Aberystwyth Business School are taught by lecturers and other teaching staff who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
Over 75% of full time members of teaching staff are qualified to PhD level. Most are currently research active, meaning that students benefit from being taught ‘new’ knowledge in their chosen field of study as well as recognized literature. The School also employs part-time and full time staff devoted purely to teaching. Many part-time staff combine teaching duties with consultancy and business activities, ensuring that students have access not only to up to date research but the latest applied knowledge.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
|Module Name||Module Code||Credit Value|
|Fundamentals Of Accounting And Finance||AB11120||20|
|Fundamentals Of Management And Business||AB15120||20|
|Marketing Principles And Contemporary Practice||AB17120||20|
|Understanding The Economy||AB13120||20|
Career prospects: From Campus to Career
Many of our graduates have explored a career in:
- Marketing Executive;
- Market Researcher;
- Advertising Copywriter;
- Advertising Account Planner;
- Media Planner;
- Media Buyer;
- Public Relations Officer.
What skills will I obtain from this degree?
Studying our degree in Marketing will equip you with the following skills:
- Improved numeracy skills and the ability to research, interpret and use statistics;
- Deep understanding of the causes and effects of economic and other external changes;
- The ability to communicate clearly in a written and spoken form;
- Effective problem solving;
- Analytical and creative thinking skills;
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Time-Management and organisational skills;
- Self-motivation and self-reliance.
What work experience opportunities exist at Aberystwyth University?
Discover more about the various employment opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Teaching & Learning
What will you learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three-year degree scheme.
In the first year you may discover:
- Fundamental principles of marketing;
- Marketing in a business context;
In the second year you may explore:
- The production of campaigns;
- Strategic marketing;
- Consumer behaviour;
- Management research methods;
- Business to Business marketing;
- Customer relationship management;
- Human resource management.
In the third year you may study:
- Marketing Communications;
- The nature and importance of international marketing and global brand awareness;
- Qualitative and Quantitative analysis of marketing situations;
- Formulation of effective marketing plans;
- And undertake a compulsory independent research project.
How will I be taught?
Our students are taught through lectures, small-group seminars, and tutorials.
We assess our students through examinations, assessed essays, projects, reports, reflective diaries, portfolios, and presentations. The coursework will develop your capacity to research, analyse and present an argument clearly and coherently, while seminars will help you hone your presentations skills.
You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your time at Aberystwyth University. This person will assist you with all matters relating to academic and non-academic.
As a third year undergraduate Marketing student, what I love about marketing is working on projects creating an experience and a perception which is as interesting and exciting to someone else as much as it is to me. Without marketing, life would be generally less interesting - we wouldn’t have the amusement of viral videos for example. Everyone loves unique and fun ways of approaching things in general. The Cadbury gorilla advert was loved by a nation and was thought up by creative people with business minds. That is why I love marketing. Callum Russell
Marketing will never get boring. Trends are forever changing and every marketer must keep up with them. For instance, organisational ethics or viral ads is the new thing at the moment! Victoria Claire Halliwell
As I see it, Marketing is one of the most important topics of today's modern world. With the ever-growing internet age and the advances in technology, the world economy has seen radical transformations and the world's markets are more competitive than ever. And so, learning the theories and concepts behind marketing and its various aspects and links to the business world can help provide better understanding - and even opportunities for exploration of new methods and techniques of connecting and attracting customers. Danielle Storey
Typical Entry Requirements
A Levels BBC
GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
28 points overall
The University operates an inclusive admissions policy and our offers can vary. Please refer to our country-specific pages for details of the international qualifications we accept. For further information, contact email@example.com