BSc

Genetics and Biochemistry

Key Facts

Code CC47
  • Typical A-level offer

BBC-BBB with B in Chemistry

• Course Length

3 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

In choosing to study the Genetics and Biochemistry Degree at Aberystwyth University you will work at the forefront of these exciting disciplines. Genetics has almost limitless potential to help understand human health and disease, evolution, and the diversity of living things. Complementing this, biochemistry provides a mechanistic understanding of how genes dictate the biology of an organism. The Genetics and Biochemistry Degree combines these two disciplines, with a focus on studying the molecular genetics of health and disease. Building upon a foundation that includes key genetics and biochemistry understanding, you will soon start to specialise human genetics, gene expression, developmental and cancer biology, biotechnology, genetic engineering and pharmacology. Upon successful completion of the Genetics and Biochemistry Degree you will have the skills and attributes necessary for diverse careers that include biomedical research, forensic science, DNA profiling, clinical cytogenetics and genetic counselling amongst others.

Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS): 91% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)

92% of undergraduates from IBERS who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

Why study Genetics and Biochemistry at Aberystwyth University?

•  We place great emphasis upon practical skills, so that our graduates become practitioners from the word go
  • We ensure that our graduates have the skills to communicate their science effectively
  • We have extensive research and teaching labs equipped with the latest state-of-the-art equipment, including bioimaging facilities, high-throughput DNA sequencing, proteomics, metabolomics and spectroscopic platforms. We have also recently invested over £55 million in our teaching facilities on campus
  • This degree will give you a solid foundation in the study of cellular, molecular and chemical biology
  • We will nurture both your intellectual curiosity and your general scientific practice
  • The subject is taught within an internationally recognised centre of excellence, by experts in the Biochemistry and Genetics fields

If you are interested in this course BSc Genetics and  Biochemistry CC47, then you may well be interested in our BSc Biochemistry (C700)and our MBiol Biochemsitry (C709).

Our Staff

The majority of teaching staff at the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences are qualified to PhD level and are research active. Vocational courses also have staff whose background lies within industry.  The Institute has a large number of research only staff with whom students may have contact.

Modules

Employability

Employability is embedded in our teaching. We are linked closely with The Biochemical Society and the Genetics Society, which are great platforms for students to network with others in their discipline.

Our students leave Aberystwyth University with skills including;  

• research and data analysis skills
• enhanced mathematical and computational skills
• effective problem-solving and creative thinking skills
• a thorough grounding in information technology skills
• the ability to work independently
• time-management and organisational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines
• the ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner, in both written and oral form
• self-motivation and self-reliance
• team-working, with the ability to discuss concepts in groups, accommodating different ideas and reaching agreement

What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying? 

Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer. 

Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department. 

Teaching & Learning

What will I study?

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.

In your first year you will explore;

• The diversity of biological disciplines which includes;
  • Structure and function of plants, animals and microbes at the organismal, cellular and molecular levels
  • A solid grounding in biological chemistry and the molecules of life
  • The principles underpinning modern genetics and inheritance
  • The metabolic flow of energy and matter through living systems

In your second year you will discover;

• Cell biology and developmental biology
  • Immunology and cancer biology
  • Molecular biology and its applications
  • Practical –based modules developing your research skills

In your third year you will study;

• Functional Genomics and other ‘omics technologies
  • Gene expression and developmental genetics
  • Pharmacology and toxicology
  • And undertake a major research project

How will I be taught?

The course will be delivered through lectures, workshops, tutorials and practicals. You will be assessed through;

• Essays
  • Practical exercises
  • Worksheets
  • Literature reviews
  • Magazine articles
  • Reports
  • Statistical exercises
  • Posters
  • Presentations
  • Online tests
  • Reflective diaries
  • Exams

Student Views

Genetics is at the cutting edge of the biological sciences. In the post genomic era, we are able to truly examine our biological programming at a molecular level. What I really enjoy about the course is that you have the ability to tailor it to your particular areas of interest, choosing your own combinations of modules which reflect the areas you want to explore most, all the while gaining valuable knowledge and practical experience to help shape your career path. Richard Cleverley

Biochemistry is a very interesting and competitive course which helps me to develop my knowledge and understanding of science and medical fields. Throughout the Biochemistry course I have developed my practical skills because I have spent a lot of time in the laboratories, taking part in many experiments during the academic year. Madalina Dragomir

My degree in Genetics and Biochemistry gave me a good grounding that prepared me very well for my PhD. In fact, one of the courses, Gene Expression and Developmental Genetics inspired me to work in the area of Developmental Biology, which is what I work at today. I will be eternally grateful for the chance I was given and the teaching I received
Roger – Professor of Neuroscience, University of Copenhagen

Entry Requirements

A Levels BBC-BBB with B in Chemistry

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics and a Science subject

BTEC National Diploma:
DDM

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
30 points overall with 5 points in Chemistry at Higher Level

European Baccalaureate:
65-70% overall with 75% in specified subject

Back to the top