Tourism Management is reputed to be the world's biggest industry. The combination of Tourism and Marketing will enable you to explore the exciting and dynamic tourism industry whilst developing and discovering a new skill set in traditional and digital marketing theories. At Aberystwyth University, you will study in a place where tourism helps a vibrant community thrive. You will also be studying a degree in a department that is an accredited CIM Gateway Centre, meaning you can study your degree and obtain exemptions from the modules provided by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM).
Student Satisfaction and Employability Results
Top 10 in the UK for Teaching Quality for the subject of Business & Management Studies (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019)
95% of our Business and Administrative subject students were satisfied that the staff were good at explaining things, 88 for the sector. (NSS 2019)
97% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 3% more than Business and Administrative Studies graduates nationally (HESA 2018*)
Why study Tourism Management / Marketing at Aberystwyth?
- This degree is engineered for those wanting a career in tourism and marketing - the world’s biggest industry.
- The marketing component of this degree allows you to explore the changing use of information technology and digital media for marketing purposes in a creative and innovative way.
- See your skills which include communication, time management, objective management improve with us.
- You will also develop your skills and knowledge in the strategic and operational aspects of contemporary marketing that include branding, communications, relationships, consumer behavior, the management of marketing and contemporary marketing practice.
- Take part in three-day tours of a UK destination and a week-long tour to an overseas tourism destination when you study with us.
- Receive expert advice by visiting speakers who are prominent in the industry who bring their professional experience to the classroom.
Students at the Aberystwyth Business School are taught by lecturers and other teaching staff who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
Over 75% of full time members of teaching staff are qualified to PhD level. Most are currently research active, meaning that students benefit from being taught ‘new’ knowledge in their chosen field of study as well as recognized literature. The School also employs part-time and full time staff devoted purely to teaching. Many part-time staff combine teaching duties with consultancy and business activities, ensuring that students have access not only to up to date research but the latest applied knowledge.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
|Module Name||Module Code||Credit Value|
|Fundamentals Of Management And Business *||AB15120||20|
|Marketing Principles And Contemporary Practice *||AB17120||20|
|Principles Of Tourism Management||AB19120||20|
|Module Name||Module Code||Credit Value|
|Fundamentals Of Accounting And Finance||AB11120||20|
|Understanding The Economy||AB13120||20|
* Also available partially or entirely through the medium of Welsh
Career prospects: From Campus to Career
Many of our graduates have explored a career in:
- Marketing Executive;
- Market Researcher;
- Advertising Copywriter;
- Advertising Account Planner;
- Media Planner;
- Media Buyer;
- Public Relations Officer.
What skills will I obtain from this degree?
Studying our degree in Marketing will equip you with the following skills:
- Improved numeracy skills and the ability to research, interpret and use statistics;
- Deep understanding of the causes and effects of economic and other external changes;
- The ability to communicate clearly in a written and spoken form;
- Effective problem solving;
- Analytical and creative thinking skills;
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Time-Management and organisational skills;
- Self-motivation and self-reliance.
What work experience opportunities exist at Aberystwyth University?
Discover more about the various employment opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Teaching & Learning
What will you learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three-year degree scheme.
In the first year you may discover:
- Fundamental principles of marketing;
- Tourism principles;
- Marketing in a business context;
- The business environment and management;
In the second year you may explore:
- The production of campaigns;
- Strategic marketing;
- Consumer behaviour;
- Adventure tourism and outdoor recreation;
- Management research methods;
- Destination and attraction management;
- Business to Business marketing;
- Customer relationship management;
- International tourism;
- Human resource management.
In the third year you may study:
- Marketing Communications;
- The nature and importance of international marketing and global brand awareness;
- Sustainable tourism;
- Qualitative and Quantitative analysis of marketing situations;
- Tourism marketing;
- Formulation of effective marketing plans;
- And undertake a compulsory independent research project.
How will I be taught?
Our students are taught through lectures, small-group seminars, and tutorials.
We assess our students through examinations, assessed essays, projects, reports, reflective diaries, portfolios, and presentations. The coursework will develop your capacity to research, analyse and present an argument clearly and coherently, while seminars will help you hone your presentations skills.
You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your time at Aberystwyth University. This person will assist you with all matters relating to academic and non-academic.
Typical Entry Requirements
A Levels BBC
GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
The University operates an inclusive admissions policy and our offers can vary. Please refer to our country-specific pages for details of the international qualifications we accept. For further information, contact email@example.com