BA

Welsh / Drama and Theatre

BA Welsh / Drama and Theatre Code QW54 Attend an Open Day Attend an Open Day Clearing places available – 0800 121 40 80

Apply Now

You are viewing this course for September start 2022

By choosing to study BA Welsh / Drama and Theatre at Aberystwyth University, you will study in two highly renowned departments who are innovators in their teaching and research. These are the Department of Welsh and Celtic Studies and the Department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies. The two departments offer students an unrivalled range of choices, staff expertise and state-of-the-art facilities. They combine creative and critical methods in their approaches to their disciplines through innovative practical work and challenging scholarly research.

Course Overview

Why study Welsh / Drama and Theatre at Aberystwyth University?

• You will join two departments where the quality of the teaching and research is of a very high standard.
  • The Department of Welsh and Celtic Studies at Aberystwyth University is the oldest of its kind in the world, and this is the department that was home to scholarly and literary lecturers such as T. Gwynn Jones, T. H. Parry Williams and Gwenallt. Today, the Department is leading the sector with innovative courses in language and literature, creative writing, professional Welsh, translation studies and Celtic studies.
  • The Department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies is a lively and creative department where drama, theatre, film, television, media, scenography and theatre design collide. It is one of the few multidisciplinary departments of its kind in the UK, and it is able to offer a unique experience and plays a pivotal role in developing the talents of individuals who go on to excel in the creative industries.
  • The Department has close connections with key partners in the creative industries - see the 'Employability' page on the department's webpages. It also has excellent resources and facilities for practical work - see the 'Our facilities' page.
  • Both departments have close connections with the Aberystwyth Arts Centre, which is one of the largest arts centres in Wales and which presents dance shows and national and international theatre work regularly.
  • In Aberystwyth you can live through the medium of Welsh and enjoy the social aspects of the Welsh community here. Join union for Welsh speaking students (UMCA), come to live in Pantycelyn, go on the Geltaidd’s rugby trips, join the Pantycelyn choir and go to literary and musical evenings such as Cicio'r Bar (Kicking the Bar) and Noson Llên a Chân (an Evening of Literature and Song).
Our Staff

All academic staff in the Department of Welsh and Celtic Studies are research active scholars and experts in their chosen fields of study, including the study of languages and literatures as well as creative writing.

All academic staff at the Department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies are research active and/or involved in Knowledge Transfer projects and have either relevant academic qualifications at doctoral level or equivalent professional experience and expertise.

Careers

What can I do with a degree in Welsh / Drama and Theatre?

A lot of our students have been successful with securing work in the following areas:

acting and performing

directing

designing

scriptwriting

teaching and education

arts administration

marketing

management

public relations.

What skills will I gain from this degree?

Employability is an essential element of all our activities.

Drama and Theatre students will nurture the following valuable skills that are important to employers. Amongst these is the ability to:

• work effectively in groups to develop, practice and produce live events
  • implement creative, imaginative and problem-solving skills in a variety of situations
  • research, evaluate and organise information
  • structure and communicate ideas effectively in various situations, using a variety of methods
  • work independently and with others
  • arrange your time effectively and use your skills
  • listen to constructive criticism, and use it
  • encourage yourself and be self-disciplined
  • use a range of technical information skills and resources
  • be entrepreneurial when developing cultural projects.

What opportunities are available for work experience whilst you’ll be studying?

Learn about the different opportunities that the Aberystwyth University Careers Service offers.

Improve your career opportunities with Go Wales and YES (the Year in Employment Scheme) which are managed by our Careers Service. 

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

This summary below will give you an idea of what you could be studying in the 3 year degree course.

In the first year you will discover:

• introductory modules on creating, thinking and studying
  • which aspects of Welsh interest you the most. You will learn about a variety of literary periods and other aspects of the subject so that you can design your own unique combination of modules in the second and third year
  • contemporary methods of creating theatre, in the studio and on placement
  • key historical times, practices and methods in drama and theatre
  • analysing drama, theatre and performance.

In your second year, you will explore:

• contemporary theatre making using practical, historical and theoretical approaches
  • other core language modules to further develop your confidence, and others of your own choice that you will select from the wide range of modules that are available
  • production work on a large scale
  • acting, directing and dramatology, inventing, and planning
  • development of modern European theatre
  • Shakespeare in contemporary performances
  • theatre and contemporary society
  • New Media and writing performances.

In your last year, you will get an opportunity to:

• create independent creative work
  • undertake a large research project and explore higher theoretical studies
  • extend your skills in independent and collaborative production projects.
  • develop your entrepreneurial skills by producing and curating cultural events
  • create your own drama script
  • study specialist modules that can discuss themes such as: space, place and landscape, performance and philosophy, performance, politics and protest, theatre, gender and sexuality, performance and architecture, and new musical theatre.

How will I be taught?

You will be taught through practical workshops, seminars for small groups, lectures, production projects and project work in groups.

We use a range of methods in our teaching, questioning theory through practical exploration and practice through the lens of various theoretical view points.

You will be assessed through formal essays and performed essays, written and practical examinations, critical and creative portfolios, practical productions, seminar presentations and group activities.

You will have a personal tutor throughout your degree scheme who will help you with any academic or personal matters. You can contact your personal tutor at any time for assistance and advice. 

Student Testimonials

Under the supervision of the department's supportive tutors, I succeeded in developing as an actor, especially in the second and third years, and this was a big help for me to get a place on the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama postgraduate acting course. I have now completed that course and am working as a professional actor. Gwawr Loader

When I started my degree at Aberystwyth I wasn’t sure what aspects of drama and theatre I wanted to choose as a career. There was an opportunity to choose from a variety of modules such as acting, scripting, scenography and a good balance of theory and practice which contributed to the development of my understanding of drama and theatre. I got my first taste of directing during my second year by following the directing module. In my third year I co-directed, devised and toured a piece of theatre education. Along with the responsibility of these opportunities, I received care and support from my lecturers and I discovered an enthusiasm for directing. After graduating I felt like I could step out into the real world to continue on my learning journey. After graduating I completed a one-year course in coaching as a theatre director with Living Pictures and Sherman Wales. Since then I have been working with a number of different establishments as a freelance director. For example with National Theatre Wales, Sherman Wales and Mess up the Mess. I received an Artist in Development Prize by Iolo Theatre and I returned to Aberystwyth to work as a Director in Development for National Theatre Wales and for Rimini Protokoll from Germany. I am currently working as a Literary Assistant and Tutor for Sherman Theatre Wales Youth, and I also work as a tutor for Glamorgan University and as a drama advocate in schools. Sarah Bickerton

Typical Entry Requirements

UCAS Tariff 120 - 104

A Levels BBB-BCC to include B in Welsh 1st or 2nd Language

GCSE requirements (minimum grade C/4):
English or Welsh

BTEC National Diploma:
DDM-DMM, plus B in A level Welsh 1st or 2nd Language

International Baccalaureate:
30-28, plus B in A level Welsh 1st or 2nd Language

European Baccalaureate:
75%-65% overall, plus B in A level Welsh 1st or 2nd Language

English Language Requirements:
See our Undergraduate English Language Requirements for this course. Pre-sessional English Programmes are also available for students who do not meet our English Language Requirements.

Country Specific Entry Requirements:
International students whose qualification is not listed on this page, can check our Country Specific Entry Requirements for further information.

The University welcomes undergraduate applications from students studying the Access to Higher Education Diploma or T-level qualifications, provided that relevant subject content and learning outcomes are met. We are not able to accept Access to Higher Education Diplomas or T-levels as a general qualification for every undergraduate degree course.
Our inclusive admissions policy values breadth as well as depth of study. Applicants are selected on their own individual merits and offers can vary. If you would like to check the eligibility of your qualifications before submitting an application, please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office for advice and guidance.

Back to the top