BSc Business and Management, within the Aberystwyth Business School, is perfect preparation for your career in the business world. The degree is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. Our expert academics will guide you through areas of marketing, operations management, finance, accounting, strategy, human resource management and entrepreneurship - in addition to a range of other cutting-edge and specialist modules. The degree has been engineered for a student who wants to excel and succeed to the top level of global business management practice.
Student Satisfaction and Employability Results
Top 10 in the UK for Teaching Quality for the subject of Business & Management Studies (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019)
95% of our Business and Administrative subject students were satisfied that the staff were good at explaining things, 88 for the sector. (NSS 2019)
97% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 3% more than Business and Administrative Studies graduates nationally (HESA 2018*)
Why study Business and Management at Aberystwyth University?
- You will be taught in the innovating and dynamic Aberystwyth Business School.
- You will gain insight into the world of enterprise.
- An understanding of the impact of changes in the business environment e.g. economic events.
Gain knowledge in the following:
- Changes in accounting practices;
- Changes in the regulatory and legal environment;
- Marketing decisions;
- Business strategies.
On completion of this degree you will possess:
- A broad understanding of management in practice;
- In-depth knowledge of trade and commerce in both the public and private sector;
- A solid grasp in the complexity of management challenges and the combined impact of the economic, financial, human and legal issues that leaders encounter.
Students at the Aberystwyth Business School are taught by lecturers and other teaching staff who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
Over 75% of full time members of teaching staff are qualified to PhD level. Most are currently research active, meaning that students benefit from being taught ‘new’ knowledge in their chosen field of study as well as recognized literature. The School also employs part-time and full time staff devoted purely to teaching. Many part-time staff combine teaching duties with consultancy and business activities, ensuring that students have access not only to up to date research but the latest applied knowledge.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
|Module Name||Module Code||Credit Value|
|Fundamentals Of Accounting And Finance||AB11120||20|
|Fundamentals Of Management And Business||AB15120||20|
|Marketing Principles And Contemporary Practice||AB17120||20|
|Understanding The Economy||AB13120||20|
|Module Name||Module Code||Credit Value|
|Corporate Governance, Risk And Ethics||AB21320||20|
|Entrepreneurship And New Venture Creation||AB25220||20|
|Entreprenwriaeth A Chreu Menter Newydd||CB25220||20|
|Gweithrediadau A Rheoli'r Gadwyn Cyflenwi||CB25120||20|
|Human Resource Management *||AB25420||20|
|Operations And Supply Chain Management||AB25120||20|
* Also available partially or entirely through the medium of Welsh
What can I do with a degree in Business Management?
Our graduates have entered and are successful in a number of sectors:
- Chartered Accountancy;
- Investment Banking;
- Risk Management;
- Marketing Management;
- Retail Management;
- Distribution and Logistics Management.
What skills will I obtain from this degree?
Studying our degree in Business Management will equip you with the following skills:
- Understanding of organisational behaviour and structure;
- Improved numeracy skills and the ability to research, interpret and use business and financial data;
- Deep understanding of the causes and effects of economic and other external changes;
- The ability to communicate clearly in a written and spoken form;
- Effective problem solving;
- Analytical and creative thinking skills;
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Time-Management and organisational skills;
- Self-motivation and self-reliance.
What work experience opportunities exist at Aberystwyth University?
Discover more about the various employment opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Teaching & Learning
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.
In your first year you will discover:
- Fundamental principles of management;
- The dynamics of the modern business environment;
- The use of financial and accounting information in management decisions at operational and strategic levels;
- Marketing principles.
In your second year you will explore:
- The organisational behaviour and theory;
- Theories and techniques of operations management;
- Market structures and pricing strategies;
- The skills, analytical tools and techniques to identify and address problems and opportunities in business management and marketing.
In your third year you will study:
- The business strategy and how it functions both internally and externally to the business environment;
- Human resource management;
- The understanding of current management thinking from both practical and theoretical perspectives;
- A compulsory independent research project which will give you the opportunity to specialise in a particular aspect of business management and marketing;
- Optional modules are available to allow you to direct your learning and preferred specialism.
Business & Management provides academic insight to firm behaviour within internal and external business environments enabling individuals to fully comprehend the wider context of operations within a global context in an informative yet interesting manner. It’s diverse as it examines a variety of business topics. Students get to experience economics, accounting, and marketing providing a sound grounding in wide variety of business areas that may be extended in the second and final years. The modules set individuals in good stead for understanding a variety of business functions. Andrea Jane Phillips
The course has been a great deal of help for me and has given me confidence within marketing and business, particularly when we worked as business consultants for Aber Town Trader within Marketing Case Studies. It gives us an insight for future work and is great work experience for students. Marketing Communications last semester was also a very interesting topic as we learnt and analysed different communications that companies use within marketing in order to reach their target audience and potential customers. These opportunities have been great and good to put on CV as experiences! Dwynwen Medi Evans
Studying Business and Management at Aberystwyth University has enabled me to develop my understanding, and better appreciate the world in which we all live and work. With a limited understanding of Business and Management prior to studying, I have benefited greatly from this course, and the ability to select and choose which route I best want to follow. Through a range of in-class and interactive learning sessions my passion for the subject has flourished. The degree has fuelled my desire to pursue education to the next level in order to ascertain a more thorough understanding of the business environment. Peter Hamilton-Gray
Typical Entry Requirements
UCAS Tariff 96 - 120
A Levels BBB-CCC
GCSE requirements (minimum grade C/4):
English or Welsh and Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
The University welcomes applications from students studying the Access to Higher Education Diploma. Our inclusive admissions policy values breadth as well as depth of study. Applicants are selected on their own individual merits, and offers can vary. If you are studying a qualification not listed on this page, please get in touch with the Undergraduate Admissions Office for further advice. Details about the country-specific qualifications the University accepts can be found on our country-specific pages. For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org