If you're interested in a subject that is exciting, dynamic and one that will combine elements of consumer behavior, psychology, management, human resources and culture, then the Accounting and Finance with Marketing degree at Aberystwyth University is the course for you. Aberystwyth Business School is an accredited Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) gateway centre, which means you could gain exemptions to the modules that the CIM offers. The Accounting and Finance component of this degree is also accredited by various professional bodies which include the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
Student Satisfaction and Employability Results
Top 10 in the UK for Teaching Quality for the subject of Business & Management Studies (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019)
Aberystwyth Business School: 91% overall student satisfaction (NSS 2018)
97% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 3% more than Business and Administrative Studies graduates nationally (HESA 2018*)
Why study Accounting and Finance with Marketing at Aberystwyth University?
- The Marketing component of this degree allows you to explore the changing use of information technology and digital media for marketing purposes in a creative and innovative way. In addition, the range of marketing modules that are on offer enables you to discover the multidisciplinary understanding of marketing which employers increasingly demand.
- Across the two subject areas (Accounting/ Finance and Marketing) you will be taught by experts who have experience and knowledge of the specialist areas at an industry level.
- The Accounting and Finance component of this course will focus on developing your skills and knowledge in financial measurement and disclosure has on cash-flow, internal policy, and management systems. This will enlighten your understanding of how financial data may be used in order to inform and influence managers, investors and decision makers and how the presentation of financial information can impact on the longevity (and profitability/ sustainability) of a company or public sector organisation.
- This programme will help fast-track your accountancy career by giving you exemptions from key professional examinations which make you more appealing to future employers.
Students at the Aberystwyth Business School are taught by lecturers and other teaching staff who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
Over 75% of full time members of teaching staff are qualified to PhD level. Most are currently research active, meaning that students benefit from being taught ‘new’ knowledge in their chosen field of study as well as recognized literature. The School also employs part-time and full time staff devoted purely to teaching. Many part-time staff combine teaching duties with consultancy and business activities, ensuring that students have access not only to up to date research but the latest applied knowledge.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
|Module Name||Module Code||Credit Value|
|Accounting And Finance For Specialists||AB11220||20|
|Data Performance And Analysis||AB15220||20|
|Fundamentals Of Accounting And Finance||AB11120||20|
|Fundamentals Of Management And Business *||AB15120||20|
|Marketing Principles And Contemporary Practice||AB17120||20|
|Understanding The Economy||AB13120||20|
* Also available partially or entirely through the medium of Welsh
- Chartered Accountant;
- Chartered Certified Accountant;
- Marketing and Digital Marketing Executives;
- Chartered Management Accountant;
- Chartered Public Finance Accountant;
- Accountant Technician.
Some of our graduates have also explored other pathways:
- Tax Advisor;
- Investment Analyst;
- Financial Trader;
- Retail Banker;
Careers and Employability
From the moment you arrive at the Aberystwyth Business School we will work with you to build on your skills and experience to enhance your career prospects. During your time with us you will have the opportunity to:
- Undertake a work placement or internship through the AberForward scheme, which is a paid internship;
- Work and network with employers from a range of national and international companies through our visiting speaker programme;
- Experience and learn with one of our partner Universities through our Erasmus + or International Exchange Programme.
What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying?
Discover more about the various employment opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Teaching & Learning
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three-year degree scheme.
In your first year you will discover:
- The three key areas of Financial Accounting, Management Accounting and Financial Management;
- Fundamental principles of marketing;
- Marketing in a business context;
- Quantitative techniques and the use of specialist statistical software.
In your second year you will explore:
- Investment analysis;
- The production of campaigns;
- Portfolio selection and risk management;
- The specific rules and practices of accounting in fields such as audit and taxation;
- Strategic marketing;
- Business to Business Marketing;
- Customer Relationship Management;
- Human Resource Management;
- Corporate governance;
- Financial and management accounting;
- Business Law.
In your final year you will study:
- Trends in management accounting;
- Financial accounting and corporate finance;
- Marketing Communications;
- The nature and importance of international marketing and global brand awareness;
- Qualitative and Quantitative analysis of marketing situations;
- Options to focus on auditing, taxation or financial statement analysis;
- Formulation of effective marketing plans;
How will I be taught?
Our course is taught through the medium of lectures, small-group seminars and tutorials. All our modules are available online after the lecture or seminar for you to watch in the comfort of your own room.
You will be assessed through:
- Assessed essays;
- You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
Typical Entry Requirements
A Levels BBC
GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
The University operates an inclusive admissions policy and our offers can vary. Please refer to our country-specific pages for details of the international qualifications we accept. For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org