MSc

Equine Science

You are viewing this course for September start 2024

The MSc in Equine Science at Aberystwyth University is a long established, internationally recognised course and will provide you with research-led, high quality postgraduate teaching and education, allowing you to acquire the advanced subject knowledge and professional skills to enter the top careers in the equine industry and related professions. Throughout this course, you will be able to use a multidisciplinary approach to explore collaborations with veterinarians, scientists and industrial partners, and you will learn about the latest scientific advances and their application to horses. You will encounter many opportunities to develop as a reflective, autonomous researcher, with a wide and expert understanding of both animal, in particular equine, biology and its applications.

Typical Entry Requirements

Entry Requirements 2:2 Bachelors (Honours) degree in a relevant subject area or equivalent.  Non-graduates will be considered individually based on relevant work experience.

English Language Requirements IELTS 6.5 with minimum 5.5 in each component, or equivalent

Other Requirements Applicants are encouraged to submit an up-to-date CV as part of their application.

Back to the top

Course Overview

This course places a strong emphasis on student-centred study in order to hone your skills in original thought, analysis, interpretation and reasoning, as well as encouraging you to pursue your own specific areas of interest. A scientific understanding of the different equine physiological systems along with its application to practice will be core themes running throughout the course.

Why study MSc Equine Science at Aberystwyth University?

• The Department of Life Science (DLS) at Aberystwyth University is the longest-established provider of equine related higher education in the UK with our MSc in Equine Science established in 1978
  • DLS has an internationally renowned reputation for teaching and research in equine science
  • DLS has an equine teaching yard and is the only dedicated and fully licensed equine research yard in UK outside of veterinary colleges
  • You will undertake a challenging course taught by enthusiastic, helpful and research-active staff, further enhanced by contributions from expert equine experts and academics, many of whom are of international renown
  • Our submission to the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2021) displayed that 75% of our research is world-leading or internationally excellent, and 98% of our research is internationally recognised
  • DLS has been recently been awarded the 2023 Queen's Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education for research carried out in the department.

About this course

Duration:

1 year full-time or 2 years part-time.

Funding:

Scholarships are available for this course.

Additional funding opportunities may be available, please check our funding calculator for details.

Course Fees: 

Please see the tuition fee pages for current tuition fees. Please note that all fees are subject to an annual increase.

Modules September start - 2024

Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.

* Also available partially or entirely through the medium of Welsh

Careers

This course will prepare you for a wide range of careers within the equine industry.

Our graduates often progress to careers in:

• Scientific research
  • Scientific publishing
  • Equine/Animal Nutrition
  • Equine/Animal Welfare
  • Teaching
  • Equine/Animal breeding
  • Consultancy
  • Laboratory work.

Many of our previous graduates have also progressed to PhDs or Veterinary Medicine.

Skills

This course will empower you to:

• Develop an in-depth knowledge of the key contemporary topics affecting the Equine Sciences
  • Enhance your problem-solving and data handling skills
  • Develop study and research skills
  • Develop and sustain a self-initiated programme of study
  • Develop your skills of original thought, analysis, evaluation, interpretation and reasoning
  • Enhance your communication skills
  • Work effectively independently and as part of a team.

Teaching & Learning

How will I learn?

This course can be studied one year full-time or two years part-time. When studied full-time, the course is divided into three semesters. During the first two semesters, students complete 120 taught credits (usually six 20-credit modules), which are delivered primarily through lectures, practicals, workshops and seminars.

During the final semester (June to September), you will complete your dissertation and will arrange your level of contact with your assigned dissertation supervisor.

What will I learn?

In the first two semesters, you will study a number of core modules, covering topics such as animal/equine breeding, genetics and infection and immunity, equine nutrition, equine anatomy, equine behaviour and equine reproductive physiology and stud management.

You will also undertake a research training module which will give you a strong grounding in statistical techniques and analytical approaches to biological investigations, and will enhance your research skills and techniques in preparation for your dissertation undertaken in Semester 3 (June to September).

Throughout the course, a strong emphasis is placed on student-centred study. This culminates in the Masters dissertation, a key part of the course which allows you to pursue specific areas of interest.

How will I be assessed?

Assessment is via a mix of written assignments (case studies, essays, research projects, critical reviews and abstracts), written examinations, seminar presentations, online assignments and scientific posters. Successful submission of the dissertation in the final semester leads to the award of an MSc. 

Student Testimonials

'I recommend the MSc course to anyone who wants to work with horses in their future career'. Maria Soroko

'I thoroughly enjoyed my MSc, although it was challenging, it was also great fun and very diverse in its content whilst still covering the current scientific equine issues'.Tina Blackmore

'The course over all was very beneficial to me as an equine vet. It helped my understanding of the scientific interpretation of clinical cases which I have encountered during my clinical practice and it broadened my knowledge'.Tariq

'Completing this course has undoubtedly led to my rapid employment and I believe that choosing Aberystwyth is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I formed lifelong friendships during the course and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in horses and science'. Amelia Charbonneau

'The lectures were stimulating and interesting, the broad range of practicals was fascinating and the guest lectures at Gregynog Hall were a great place to meet future employers...I would highly recommend the Equine MSc at Aberystwyth to any equine enthusiast who is looking to further their scientific career'. Sam Westgate

'The Masters course was thoroughly enjoyable and interesting, with sufficient flexibility to allow students to focus their interests. The course helped me to develop skills which have assisted me in my current position as PhD student, studying cell culture techniques as models for uterine infections in women and cattle at the Royal Vet School and Swansea University'. Sian Price

'The MSc course was well taught by subject specialists and incorporated a range of modules including, Equine Nutrition, Veterinary Science and Genetics, which opened up many potential career opportunities'. Anna Sylvester

'The best part about the MSc Equine Science at Aberystwyth was having the opportunity to challenge the conventional wisdom about many common equine practices in an environment where research and learning are encouraged with an open mind and a lively spirit'. Anna Babin

Find out more on what our students say about this course.