Typical A-level offer
BBC with B in Spanish unless to be studied as a beginner
In choosing to study this Tourism with Spanish degree you'll be studying a discipline that's also the world's biggest industry. Covering essential learning that includes Marketing, the Business Environment, Tourism and Recreation in the UK, alongside Spanish (Linguistics, Literature, Culture) you'll be provided with the necessary skills and attributes demanded by employers of graduates of this discipline. We place an emphasis on delivering effective graduates with a thorough understanding of the Tourism industry and well-developed language skills following a year abroad in a Spanish-speaking country.
Top 5 in the UK for student satisfaction in the subject area of Spanish (NSS 2016)
Aberystwyth Business School: 90% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)
96% of undergraduates from the Aberystwyth Business School who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)
Department of Modern Languages: 96% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)
96% of undergraduates from the Department of Modern Languages who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)
- Teaching & Learning
- Student Views
- Top 10 Leagues Tables 2017 for Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation and Tourism (The complete University Guide, 2016)
- This degree is engineered for those wanting a career in tourism - the world’s biggest industry
- Taught by enthusiastic staff who are experts in the tourism sector
- Explore the linguistic, cultural and literature of the Spanish language
- See your fluency levels in Spanish improve
- Open to beginners in the Spanish and to those who have studied up to A-Level
- Receive expert advice by visiting speakers who are prominent in the industry who bring their professional experience to the classroom
- Spend a year abroad in Spain under the Erasmus + programme studying or working
Students at the Aberystwyth Business School are taught by lecturers and other teaching staff who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
Over 75% of full time members of teaching staff are qualified to PhD level. Most are currently research active, meaning that students benefit from being taught ‘new’ knowledge in their chosen field of study as well as recognized literature. The School also employs part-time and full time staff devoted purely to teaching. Many part-time staff combine teaching duties with consultancy and business activities, ensuring that students have access not only to up to date research but the latest applied knowledge.
All of the lecturers in the Dept of Modern Languages are qualified to PhD level and are research active. We also employ language tutors, some of whom have a PhD, and all of whom are experienced teachers. We occasionally employ native-speakers from our partner universities abroad (lectors) who come to us highly recommended on the basis of their academic achievement at the home university, and many of whom have trained as teachers. The fourth group is part-time staff who are employed on the basis of their expertise in a particular specialist area.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
- Destination and Attraction Management
- International Tourism in Practice
- Language of Business and Current Affairs 1 *
- Marketing Management *
- Visitor Management
- Work Experience
* Also available partially or entirely through the medium of Welsh
- Independent Research Project in Management, Marketing and Tourism *
- Spanish Language
- Sustainable Tourism
- Tourism Marketing
- Actualidades *
- Consumer Behaviour
- International Marketing *
- Marketing Communications
- Small Business Management and Entrepreneurship *
- Tourism Development and Planning
* Also available partially or entirely through the medium of Welsh
Career prospects: From Campus to Career
Employability is embedded across our teaching.
Our graduates have been successful in seeking employment in the following:
- Marketing Executive
- Travel Agency Manager
- Tourist Information Centre Manager
- Tour Manager
- Tourism officer
- Event Organisation
- Hotel Manager
- Customer Service sector
- Outdoor pursuits manager
What skills will I acquire from this degree?
Studying for a degree in Tourism Management and Spanish will equip you with a range of transferable skills which are highly valued by employers. These include:
- the ability to research, interpret and analyse business and financial data
- the ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner, in both written and oral form
- effective problem-solving
- analytical and creative thinking skills
- the ability to work independently
- time-management and organisational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines
- self-motivation and self-reliance
- team-working, with the ability to discuss concepts in groups, accommodating different ideas and reaching agreement
What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying?
Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Teaching & Learning
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the four year degree scheme.
During your four years, you will have four weekly hours of language work, which includes:
In your first year you will explore:
- Tourism principles
- Tourism system
- Marketing principles
- The business environment and management
- And acquire basic communication skills in either French or Spanish
In your second year you will investigate:
- Adventure Tourism and outdoor recreation
- Destination and attraction management
- International Tourism
In your third year you will:
- Embark on your Year Abroad of studying or work placements through the Erasmus + Programme.
In your final year you will discover:
- Sustainable tourism
- Tourism marketing
- Development and planning
- Your independent research project
How will I be taught?
We deliver our courses in the medium of lectures, seminars and tutorials.
You will be assessed through essays, business plans, reports, reflective journals, projects, presentations and examinations.
- We will assign you a personal tutor who will be with you throughout your degree, this person will help you any problems whether these are academic-related or personal issues.
- You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
- You will also have the opportunity to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP) at Aberystwyth. This is a structured process of self-appraisal, reflection, and planning, which will enable you to chart your personal, academic and professional development throughout your time at university. By recording your academic performance, and highlighting the skills you already have and those you will need for future employability, the PDP portfolio will equip you with the necessary tools to plan effectively, develop successful approaches to study, and consider your future career options and aspirations.
Aberystwyth is the perfect place for studying tourism, as it is a popular tourist destination itself. I especially like the size of student numbers on the course: we are a group of around 25 students which enables us to go on many field trips and study tours. The lecturers are experienced and very helpful, and over the past three years I've got to know them very well. The course structure is flexible so you can concentrate on areas that you really enjoy! Katja Christiane Poguntke
A Levels BBC with B in Spanish unless to be studied as a beginner
GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
DMM with specified subject
25 points overall with 5 points in Spanish at Higher Level unless to be studied as a beginner
75% overall with 70% in Spanish unless to be studied as a beginner