BA

Romance Languages

This course is available through Clearing.
Call free phone: +44 (0) 800 121 40 80

Key Facts

Code Q990
  • Typical A-level offer

BBC with B in a relevant language unless to be studied as a beginner

• Course Length

4 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

The BA Romance Languages degree allows you to study three languages simultaneously (French, Italian, Spanish). This degree will allow you to develop fluent linguistic competencies in speaking, listening, reading, writing, translating and interpreting. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to explore the society, culture, social and professional relevance of your chosen three languages through our broad range of options.  If you are interested in developing your language competencies and exploring the language further in a social, cultural and professional aspect, then Romance Languages may be the course for you. 

Department of Modern Languages: 96% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)

96% of undergraduates from the Department of Modern Languages who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

Why study Modern Languages at Aberystwyth University?

• In the 2016 National Student Survey (NSS), we are 1st for French and in the top 5 in the UK for Spanish.
  • You will have the option to start one language at beginner level or both at advanced level (in order to study a language at beginners’ level, you must have at least one advanced qualification in one of the languages)
  • You can study a second language from beginners’ level in your second year
  • We offer our students 4 hours of language work per week (most universities offer 2-3 hours)
  • You will be taught by native speakers and experts in the languages of the department
  • You will have the opportunity to develop your linguistic competencies further and explore the diverse cultural heritage of each language
  • Our department has excellent employment rates post-graduation
  • Our students have a vast range of choices for their year abroad, where students can choose from work placements to study placements
  • We are an exceptionally friendly department, and our students benefit from the close contact with teaching staff
  • Students can benefit from our state- of –the- art facilities including our Language Resource Centre
Our Staff

All of the lecturers in the Dept of Modern Languages are qualified to PhD level and are research active. We also employ language tutors, some of whom have a PhD, and all of whom are experienced teachers. We occasionally employ native-speakers from our partner universities abroad (lectors) who come to us highly recommended on the basis of their academic achievement at the home university, and many of whom have trained as teachers. The fourth group is part-time staff who are employed on the basis of their expertise in a particular specialist area.  

Modules

Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.

Employability

Employability is embedded across our teaching within the Department of Modern Languages. The Year Abroad is where our graduates are more distinguished than others. On successful completion of the Year Abroad, students return with an increased skill set, stronger language competencies and the ability to adapt in any situations. 

Our graduates have been successful in seeking employment after graduation. Our graduates are successful in these fields;

• Translation and Interpretation 
  • Broadcasting 
  • Education 
  • Marketing 
  • Human Resources 
  • Website development 
  • International Banking 
  • Civil Service 

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the four year degree scheme.

During your four years, you will have four weekly hours of language work, which includes:

Oral

Written

Aural

Translation

In the first year you will discover:

• Introduction to literary studies and civilisation
  • European Film
  • Politics and culture of language across Europe
  • Hispanic civilisation
  • The cultural history of Italy

In your second year you will explore:

• Romance linguistics
  • Possibility of independent research project
  • Option of specialised languages modules (language of business etc.)
  • A vast choice of content modules on literature, film and art
  • Modern Literature
  • Current issues in French and francophone society
  • Teaching English to speakers of other language

In your third year, you will take part in your Year Abroad where you will study with our partner Universities under the Erasmus + programme.

In your final year, you will study:

• Semantics and Lexicography
  • Cultural and Artistic Movements
  • French Literature of 18th and 19th Century
  • Current issues in a Spanish speaking country
  • A compulsory independent research project

How will I be taught?

Our students are taught through the medium of lectures, seminars and language workshops

We assess our students in variety of ways depending on the modules. In our language classes you will be assessed through continuous assessments and an exam at the end of Year 1 and Year 4. Our elective and compulsory modules are assessed through coursework in the format of a presentation and/ or essay and an examination.

Your progress will be regularly monitored through tutorial consultations and with the Personal Development Portfolio (PDP). In your last year, in order to prepare you for life after university, the PDP is replaced by writing a CV and cover letter in French.

Student Views

When I first heard the course name 'Romance Languages', I wasn't entirely sure what it meant. It was only in my second year when I took up a Romance Linguistics module that I truly understood the many links between the languages - that they all stem from Latin - that makes learning them together so much fun! I love noticing new similarities between the Romance languages and I was thrilled when I started Italian from scratch to see how similar the grammar was to French, which I'd already studied at school. Learning Italian has actually strengthened my French skills and my knowledge of Spanish vocabulary has made learning Italian a piece of cake. I love my course! Jade Cartwright

I think that the Romance Languages course is a really interesting course to do, because the core module in Romance Linguistics really helped me to gain a better understanding of the languages I was studying (French, Spanish and Italian), and it also shows why some of the English language is the way it is. The course enables you to major in three languages which is a plus side when it comes to your year abroad as you get the opportunity to live in three different countries. Jamie Weightman

Typical Entry Requirements

A Levels BBC with B in a relevant language unless to be studied as a beginner

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh

BTEC National Diploma:
DMM with specified subjects

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
28 points overall with 5 points in a relevant language at Higher Level unless to be studied as a beginner

European Baccalaureate:
68% with 70% in a relevant language unless to be studied as a beginner

Applicants are considered on their individual merits and offers can vary. For further information, please contact ug-admissions@aber.ac.uk

Back to the top