BSc

Psychology

BSc Psychology Code C800 Apply Now Register for an Open Day

Apply Now

Key Facts

Code C800
  • Typical A-level offer

BBC with B in any subject

• Course Length

3 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

Psychology - the study of the mind and behaviour - is a diverse and dynamic topic. Our Single honours, BPS-accredited Psychology degree is designed to develop and shape your understanding and provide you with skills that will enable you to continue to study after graduation, or find employment straight away. You will work and engage with lecturers who use their significant experience, and their own research to create an inspiring learning environment in which you can develop your own thinking in safe and supportive department.

The department has outstanding teaching and research facilities dedicated to your course. The laboratories and dedicated research spaces provide you with a diverse array of facilities and equipment with which to explore. These resources allow you to develop your interests, and engage creative problem-solving techniques as you progress towards your graduation. 

Department of Psychology: 3rd in the UK with 96% student satisfaction (NSS 2017)

98% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 3% more than Psychology graduates nationally. (DLHE 2017)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

ACCA Accredited Programme

Why study Psychology at Aberystwyth University?

• Student Satisfaction
    At Aberystwyth, we work with students to help them become informed and curious thinkers. We use our teaching and research experience to inspire students giving them the skills and confidence to do whatever they wish to do in future. This is why, in 2017, the department was rated as “1st in Wales and 3rd in the UK for student satisfaction” (NSS, 2017). 
  • Equipping you for life
    All our degree schemes are designed with employability in mind and are accredited by the British Psychological Society – perfect for graduate-level careers or access to postgraduate training.  “98% of our graduates are in work or further study within 6 months of graduation” (DLHE, 2017). 
  • Friendly and Inclusive
    It is important for you to study in a supportive, student-focused environment. Our staff work hard to provide the guidance and encouragement you will need, which is why we ranked 1st for “Academic Support” across the UK (NSS, 2017). 
  • Exceptional Resources
    The department’s modern research facilities and outstanding student learning spaces are in addition to excellent central university facilities. These resources allow us provide you with an innovative approach to learning and teaching and helped us rank “2nd in the UK for Learning Resources” (NSS, 2017) 
  • Welsh Language
    If you are a Welsh-speaker you have the opportunity to continue part of your studies in Welsh. You’ll find bilingual staff in Psychology who will support you in your work, and who can guide your university experience in Welsh. 
Our Staff

Department of Psychology’s teaching staff are all research active and all permanent staff are qualified to PhD level with most having either a PGCTHE or are fellows/senior fellow of the higher education academy. Over half of the staff also have the qualification CPsychol; an indicator of the BPS’ highest standard of psychological knowledge and expertise.

Modules

Employability

What career options are available to me?

A degree in Psychology from Aberystwyth University will prepare you for a range of careers, and access to wide range of further training opportunities including:

• Clinical, Educational, Occupational, Sports and Exercise psychology
  • Psychotherapy and Counselling
  • Social Work
  • Health Care
  • Human Resources
  • Careers Advisory Service
  •  Marketing, Publishing, Advertising

The skills you learn whilst studying here are highly sought after by employers and include:

• Research and Data analysis skills
  • Effective problem-solving skills
  • The ability to work independently and present material clearly and effectively
  • The ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner
  • Self-motivation and independence
  • Teamwork and project management skills
  • Information technology skills

What opportunities are there as a student at Aberystwyth University?

The Psychology department offers three variants of its joint and single honours degrees. Each can be a single three-year degree, or each can be taken with a year in industry (WF7F) or a year studying abroad (N1FW) with one of our partner universities in Europe or further afield. 

Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.

Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

Psychology is a multifaceted discipline and the structure of our degree and how you are taught reflects this. Our ethos is to teach in a way which enables you to develop conceptual and theoretical knowledge that you are able to apply to solve problems in real world scenarios. To support you in this, your British Psychological Society accredited degree is built around essential core topics in psychology, which serve as the basis for the varied and specialized option modules we offer in the second and third year.

“My course has provided me with opportunities to apply what I have learnt” 1st in the UK (NSS, 2017)

During your first year, you will:

• Begin to transform yourself into a Psychologist, by developing core knowledge in areas such as social and individual behaviour, Brain and cognition and historical issues in psychology.
  • Start to develop a wide range of skills by using methods and techniques that will enable you to investigate psychological phenomena.

In your second and third years, you will:

• Shape your degree by choosing from our distinctive range of optional modules. This will give you the opportunity to create your own personalised path through your degree.
  • Apply skills learnt throughout your degree by constructing your own research dissertation, built around your personal ideas and interests within a psychological context.

How will I be taught?

Your academic and intellectual development are at the heart of the Aberystwyth Psychology experience. Our staff are committed to a student focused approach to teaching, making your learning needs a priority in both what we teach and how we teach you. When you join us, you will be assigned a personal tutor who will support you throughout your degree and is there to advise and guide you on a range of academic and personal matters.

From traditional lectures to small group work, we deliver inspirational teaching through a wide variety of different formats. You will also get to apply your knowledge in lab-based workshops and practicals, where you will be able to benefit from our wide range of specialists research equipment and facilities. Your development will be assessed in a broad variety of ways including; traditional exams, essays, wikis, blogs, observations and presentations.

At Aberystwyth you can be confident that you will receive the best learning experience at the very forefront of the discipline.

Student Views

The lecturers are good and the topics covered are varied and interesting. You also learn a lot of transferable skills. I have met some really nice people through psychology who have become close friends. It is an interesting subject that can be applied to every aspect of life and studying it has genuinely changed the way I see the world. Faith Mathews

I love my tutors - they are truly amazing, passionate about their specific psychology areas and very, very kind!  I also love my department - new, modern and accessible! I love how this course made me think deeper, explore new theories and come up with new ideas. C800 is also very receptive to bilingual people coming from other countries! Maryna Chwaszczewska

I love being able to learn more about people, by asking them to participate in my studies, often forming new friendships because of it. I love learning how the brain works and responds to different stimuli. I love furthering my knowledge on culture differences, especially with regards to treatment. But most of all, I love being a student, having the freedom to control my life, access so much information I never knew existed and being able to explain the strangest of things. Yvette Lavelle

Typical Entry Requirements

A Levels BBC with B in any subject

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics

BTEC National Diploma:
DMM

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
30 points overall

European Baccalaureate:
65% overall

Applicants are considered on their individual merits and offers can vary. For further information, please contact ug-admissions@aber.ac.uk

Back to the top