BSc

Psychology

Key Facts

Code C800
  • Typical A-level offer

BBC with B in any subject

• Course Length

3 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

With all courses in the department fully accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS), your degree in Psychology at Aberystwyth will provide you with the skills that many employers seek, whether your ambition is to work within psychology or not. The curriculum is designed to provide you with a strong knowledge of psychological processes, from Neuroscience to Developmental, Cognitive to Social. Specialist modules developed and taught by staff with expertise in areas such as forensic, health and Evolutionary psychology also allow you to stretch your knowledge of the subject. 

Top 20 in the UK for student satisfaction in the subject area of Psychology (NSS 2016)
95% student satisfaction for our Psychology degree scheme (NSS 2016)

Department of Psychology: 93% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)

100% of undergraduates who graduated from the Department of Psychology in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

In your psychology degree, you will study the processes that underpin our behaviour from a number of perspectives. You will look at important behaviours such as thinking and reasoning, memory and language. We’ll look also at what happens when something goes wrong through brain injury or problems in development. 

The psychology degrees at Aberystwyth University will allow you to develop knowledge of:

•  Human Behaviour
  •  How to systematically find out information from and about humans
  • What it means to be a person in this century
  • Social psychological factors influencing out behaviour and relationships
  • Issues that influence out cognitive performance
  • A wide range of other areas of study including forensic, evolutionary and Health psychology

You will have the opportunity to work with experienced research and teaching staff and use dedicated specialist research equipment 

The Department offers a number of modules taught through the medium of Welsh. Further details may be obtained from the Department.

Our Staff

Department of Psychology’s teaching staff are all research active and all permanent staff are qualified to PhD level with most having either a PGCTHE or are fellows/senior fellow of the higher education academy. Over half of the staff also have the qualification CPsychol; an indicator of the BPS’ highest standard of psychological knowledge and expertise.

Modules

Employability

What career options are available to me? 

A degree in Psychology from Aberystwyth University will prepare you for a range of careers, and access to wide range of further training opportunities; including:

• Clinical, Educational, Occupational, Sports and Exercise psychology
  • Psychotherapy and Counselling
  • Social Work
  • Health Care
  • Human Resources
  • Careers Advisory Service
  • Marketing, Publishing, Advertising

The skills you learn whilst studying here are highly sought after by employers and include

• Research and Data analysis skills
  • Effective problem-solving skills
  • The ability to work independently and present material clearly and effectively 
  • Time management and organisational skills
  • The ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner
  • Self-motivation and independence 
  • Teamwork and project management skills
  • Information technology skills

What opportunities are there as a student at Aberystwyth University? 

The Psychology department offers three variants of its joint and single honours degrees. Each can be a single three-year degree, or each can be taken with a year in industry (WF7F) or a year studying abroad (N1FW) with one of our partner universities in Europe or further afield.  

Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.

Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department. 

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

Psychology allows us insights into human behaviour. You will study the origins of the subject and how research has shaped and changed it and how it has developed into the modern science it is now. 

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.

In the first year you will discover; 

• key material from the core areas of psychology 
  • the skills required to interpret psychological findings 
  • both qualitative and quantitative research methods
  • how to apply these skills to shape yourself for the workplace

In your second and third year, you will explore; 

• advanced research methods, techniques and analysis
  • how to critically examine current psychological theories and research 
  • how to build on your knowledge from the first year and develop your skills of the core areas
  • how to apply your skills to option modules in a diverse range of specialist areas
  • how to extend yourself and develop a significant final year project of your own

How will I be taught? 

We deliver our courses through lectures, tutorials, seminars and workshops. We offer our students specialist laboratory facilities for research including eye trackers, a sound attenuated chamber, an EEG and biological measurements lab and a dedicated developmental laboratory. You will gain hands-on experience using the very latest equipment. 

Our modules are assessed in a number of ways which include examinations, presentations, essays and workshops. 

You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree to help you through any issues you may have and direct you to any opportunities. 

Our dynamic and enthusiastic staff are committed to a student focused approach to teaching, making your learning needs a priority in both what we teach and how we teach you. You can be confident that you will receive the best learning experience at the very forefront of the discipline. 

Student Views

The lecturers are good and the topics covered are varied and interesting. You also learn a lot of transferable skills. I have met some really nice people through psychology who have become close friends. It is an interesting subject that can be applied to every aspect of life and studying it has genuinely changed the way I see the world. Faith Mathews

I love my tutors - they are truly amazing, passionate about their specific psychology areas and very, very kind!  I also love my department - new, modern and accessible! I love how this course made me think deeper, explore new theories and come up with new ideas. C800 is also very receptive to bilingual people coming from other countries! Maryna Chwaszczewska

I love being able to learn more about people, by asking them to participate in my studies, often forming new friendships because of it. I love learning how the brain works and responds to different stimuli. I love furthering my knowledge on culture differences, especially with regards to treatment. But most of all, I love being a student, having the freedom to control my life, access so much information I never knew existed and being able to explain the strangest of things. Yvette Lavelle

Entry Requirements

A Levels BBC with B in any subject

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics

BTEC National Diploma:
DMM

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
30 points overall

European Baccalaureate:
65% overall

Back to the top