BSc

Psychology

This course is available through Clearing.
Call free phone: +44 (0) 800 121 40 80

Key Facts

Code C800
  • Typical A-level offer

BBC with B in any subject

• Course Length

3 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

Psychology – the scientific study of the mind and behaviour - is a diverse and dynamic field of study and our BPS-accredited Psychology degree is designed to bring this exciting subject to life. When you study with us, you will be taught by academic staff members who are established experts in their respective fields, many of whom are BPS-accredited Chartered Psychologists (CPsychol). The Department has outstanding teaching and research facilities, including eye-tracking equipment, a child development laboratory, a biopotential recording laboratory, an EEG laboratory and sound attenuated chamber, a video laboratory and control room for observational research, and a dedicated computer lab. 

Top 20 in the UK for student satisfaction in the subject area of Psychology (NSS 2016)
95% student satisfaction for our Psychology degree scheme (NSS 2016)

Department of Psychology: 93% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)

100% of undergraduates who graduated from the Department of Psychology in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

ACCA Accredited Programme

Why study Psychology at Aberystwyth University?

• We offer one of the highest quality student experience. In 2016, the University was rated as 1st in Wales and 4th in the UK for student satisfaction (NSS, 2016).
  • All our degree schemes are designed with employability in mind and are accredited by the British Psychological Society – perfect for graduate-level careers or access to postgraduate training
  • Study in a supportive, student-focused environment – our academic, support and technical staff are here for you every step of the way
  • Innovative approach to learning and teaching – the Department houses modern research facilities and top-class student learning spaces
  • Broaden your horizons beyond Aberystwyth with the opportunity to spend a year in industry or studying abroad
  • The Department offers a number of modules taught through the medium of Welsh. Check out the module tab for more information. 
Our Staff

Department of Psychology’s teaching staff are all research active and all permanent staff are qualified to PhD level with most having either a PGCTHE or are fellows/senior fellow of the higher education academy. Over half of the staff also have the qualification CPsychol; an indicator of the BPS’ highest standard of psychological knowledge and expertise.

Modules

Employability

What career options are available to me? 

A degree in Psychology from Aberystwyth University will prepare you for a range of careers, and access to wide range of further training opportunities including:

• Clinical, Educational, Occupational, Sports and Exercise psychology
  • Psychotherapy and Counselling
  • Social Work
  • Health Care
  • Human Resources
  • Careers Advisory Service
  • Marketing, Publishing, Advertising

The skills you learn whilst studying here are highly sought after by employers and include:

• Research and Data analysis skills
  • Effective problem-solving skills
  • The ability to work independently and present material clearly and effectively 
  • Time management and organisational skills
  • The ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner
  • Self-motivation and independence 
  • Teamwork and project management skills
  • Information technology skills

What opportunities are there as a student at Aberystwyth University? 

The Psychology department offers three variants of its joint and single honours degrees. Each can be a single three-year degree, or each can be taken with a year in industry (WF7F) or a year studying abroad (N1FW) with one of our partner universities in Europe or further afield.  

Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.

Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department. 

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

Psychology allows us insights into human behaviour. You will study the origins of the subject and how research has shaped and changed it and how it has developed into the modern science it is now. 

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.

During your first year, you may: 

• discover modules which cover topics such as social and individual behaviour, psychobiology and cognition, and research methods and historical issues in psychology
In your second and third years, you may:
  • Tailor your degree to your interests and future career goals by choosing from our exciting range of specialist optional modules, such as: 
  • Health psychology
  • Psychology and Psychology of Counselling
  • Coaching and Mentoring 
  • Forensic Counselling 
  • Drugs and Behaviour 
  • Psychology of Humor
  • Evolutionary Psychology
  • In your third year you will apply your research and analytical skills by completing a research dissertation on a topic of your own choosing, with support from your supervisor. 

How will I be taught? 

We deliver our courses through lectures, tutorials, seminars and workshops. We offer our students specialist laboratory facilities for research including eye trackers, a sound attenuated chamber, an EEG and biological measurements lab and a dedicated developmental laboratory. You will gain hands-on experience using the very latest equipment. 

Our modules are assessed in a number of ways which include examinations, presentations, essays and workshops. 

You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree to help you through any issues you may have and direct you to any opportunities. 

Our dynamic and enthusiastic staff are committed to a student focused approach to teaching, making your learning needs a priority in both what we teach and how we teach you. You can be confident that you will receive the best learning experience at the very forefront of the discipline. 

Student Views

The lecturers are good and the topics covered are varied and interesting. You also learn a lot of transferable skills. I have met some really nice people through psychology who have become close friends. It is an interesting subject that can be applied to every aspect of life and studying it has genuinely changed the way I see the world. Faith Mathews

I love my tutors - they are truly amazing, passionate about their specific psychology areas and very, very kind!  I also love my department - new, modern and accessible! I love how this course made me think deeper, explore new theories and come up with new ideas. C800 is also very receptive to bilingual people coming from other countries! Maryna Chwaszczewska

I love being able to learn more about people, by asking them to participate in my studies, often forming new friendships because of it. I love learning how the brain works and responds to different stimuli. I love furthering my knowledge on culture differences, especially with regards to treatment. But most of all, I love being a student, having the freedom to control my life, access so much information I never knew existed and being able to explain the strangest of things. Yvette Lavelle

Typical Entry Requirements

A Levels BBC with B in any subject

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics

BTEC National Diploma:
DMM

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
30 points overall

European Baccalaureate:
65% overall

Applicants are considered on their individual merits and offers can vary. For further information, please contact ug-admissions@aber.ac.uk

Back to the top