BA

Medieval and Early Modern History

BA Medieval and Early Modern History Code V190 Apply Now Register for an Open Day

Apply Now

Key Facts

Code V190
  • Typical A-level offer

BBB with B in any subject

• Course Length

3 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

The Medieval and Early Modern History degree scheme is designed to enable you to pursue and develop your interests in pre-modern history. It allows you to travel beyond the increasingly limited syllabus offered by the National Curriculum and take advantage of the wealth of expertise in medieval, early modern and eighteenth-century history that exists within the Department of History and Welsh History.

Department of History and Welsh: 92% student satisfaction (NSS 2017)

95.4% of UK/EU undergraduates from the Department of History and Welsh History who graduated in 2016 were in professional level jobs or graduate level further study six months after graduating (DLHE 2017)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

Why study Medieval and Early Modern History at Aberystwyth University?

• History has been taught in Aberystwyth since 1872, making our department the oldest in Wales and one of the foremost in Britain.
  • Our degrees are innovative ensuring you can get the best qualification.
  • You will be student in a University that is ranked top 5 in the UK and 1st in Wales for student satisfaction (NSS, 2017). 
  • Our subject areas range from early to modern history, political history, social history, economic and cultural history.
  • We have one of the biggest libraries in the world, the National Library of Wales, on our doorstep. This copyright institution receives a copy of every book published in the UK.
  • Exciting exchange opportunities available.
Our Staff

Department of History and Welsh History lecturers are all qualified to PhD level, and most also have a PGCHE.

Modules

Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.

Employability

What can I do with a History degree?

Our graduates have been successful in securing a profession in many different fields, including:

• Education
  • Law
  • Archivists
  • Publishers
  • Politicians
  • Civil Servants
  • Media
  • Armed Forces
  • Entrepreneurs

As a department we are very proud of our notable and esteem alumni;

• Dr Tim Brain, former Chief Constable of Gloucestershire
  • Guto Bebb, Member of Parliament
  • Dr Joanne Cayford,  BBC 
  • Berwyn Davies, Head of the Welsh Higher Education Office Brussels
  • Iwan Griffiths, Sports reporter for the S4C (Welsh language broadcast channel)

Heritage sector student placements

Our department has strong links with the heritage sector, and an established portfolio of student placements. In the past, students have spent up to three weeks at the National Library of Wales (including Welsh-medium opportunities), the Royal Commission on the Ancient & Historic Monuments of Wales, and the Society of Antiquaries of London. These placements provide the opportunity for ‘hands-on’ experience and insights into the heritage sector, and are very valuable for the CV!

Tweets from 2014 Society of Antiquaries’ placement students:

‘Got to see three copies of the Magna Carta at once today!’ ‘Kudos to Aber Uni for helping me get the placement, can't wait for tomorrow’ 

International opportunities: Erasmus & the Study Abroad programme

Having a range of experiences is very valuable for life after university, and excellent opportunities are provided by the Erasmus or Study Abroad schemes. History & Welsh History have established Erasmus exchange programmes with universities in Germany, Prague, Budapest and Norway. The Department also has links with a number of American colleges.

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.

In your first year you may discover:

• New concepts and historical skills
  • New methods and periods
  • Welsh History 1250-1800
  • Stuart England
  • Modernity and the Making of Asia
  • Exciting recent historical works
  • Our choice of other modules which reflect a broad chronological and thematic range

In your second year you may explore:

• Historical method, which examines the way in which the meaning, methods and writing of history have changed over time
  • The East and West in the Age of Crusades, C.1070-  C.1290
  • Medieval Chronicles: Historical Writing In the British Isles 540-1300
  • an insight into the historian’s craft
  • our different topics and periods from our extensive module list

In your third year you may study:

• A special subject which enables you go into in depth research, using original sources all of which enabling you to deploy the critical research skills of a practising historian
  • The Black Death and the Great Fire
  • Normal and Angevin England: Ritual, Kingship and Power.

How will I be taught and assessed?

The different modes of learning, teaching and assessment employed by History & Welsh History will enable you to develop skills in small group presentation (seminars and oral assessment), formal writing (essays), research and the development of ideas in written form (a dissertation), and working as part of a team (seminars and student conferences, such as the annual Gregynog Medieval Colloquium). History & Welsh History also maintains individual academic tutorials for all students - rare outside Oxbridge - and has a supportive system of personal tutors. Through this one-to-one contact, you will be able to discuss possible careers, or perhaps further study, with academic mentors.

Student Views

Studying History at Aberystwyth has been brilliant. The ability to pick modules and cater to your tastes has allowed me to pursue exactly what I want. If I want to study Russia I can. Alongside this the great teaching staff have a wealth of experience and knowledge and provide excellent teaching. I can approach them very easily and they are willing to give me the time and support I need. I can ask for help with essays and advice on what to read and research. Reading is key as a historian and the Library is a great resource for getting books. It has nearly all the books you need and should the book be out you can go to the National Library of Wales. In my 2 years of studying history I have not regretted my choice once, and going into my third year I simply cannot wait! Connor Lambert

What I love about studying History at Aberystwyth is everything! It is such a great degree scheme, with a wide range of modules to choose from in each year of study. The tutors are fantastic and always helpful and knowledgeable. Everyone within the department is friendly - staff and students alike - which creates a lovely working atmosphere. We have a fantastic resource just down the road, the National Library of Wales, which not only contains every book published in the UK after 1911, but is also a beautiful building to study in and commands the best view over the whole of Aberystwyth town. Studying History at Aberystwyth is the best decision I have ever made! Rachel Twomey

Typical Entry Requirements

A Levels BBB with B in any subject

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh

BTEC National Diploma:
DMM-DDM

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
30-32 points overall

European Baccalaureate:
70-75% overall

Applicants are considered on their individual merits and offers can vary. For further information, please contact ug-admissions@aber.ac.uk

Back to the top