While studying the BSc Marketing with Accounting & Finance degree you will engage with an exciting and dynamic programme that combines elements of consumer behaviour, marketing strategies and business finance.Delivered by our renowned Aberystwyth Business School, you will develop the skills and acquire the knowledge relating to strategic and operational aspects of marketing and finance, as well as a range of transferable skills that are highly sought by employers.
Aberystwyth University is an accredited Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) Graduate Gateway Centre, so you can study towards CIM qualifications while studying for a degree, or gain exemptions from certain CIM modules at the end of your study period. In addition, our Accounting and Finance course attracts accreditation from the following professional bodies ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW, CIPFA, CII, ICSA, providing you exemptions for future professional examinations that you may wish to pursue in the future.
Aberystwyth Business School: 91% overall student satisfaction (NSS 2018)
97% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 3% more than Business and Administrative Studies graduates nationally (HESA 2018*)
Why study Marketing with Accounting and Finance at Aberystwyth University?
- Upon successful completion of this degree you can apply for exemption from 50% of the CIM Professional Diplomas.
- Explore and understand topics such as digital marketing, strategic marketing, financial management, management and accounting, in addition to further financial/ accountancy topics including financial reporting, corporate finance, taxation, audit and computerised accounting systems.
- Our degree equips you with the multidisciplinary understanding of marketing and accounting which employers increasingly demand.
- This programme will help fast-track your marketing accountancy career by giving you exemptions from key professional examinations. You will be taught and mentored by qualified and recognised accountants and marketers who have a wealth of industry experience and academic experience.
- Our degree generates a high and successful level of graduates who enter employment or further training in 6 months (HESA 2017).
Students at the Aberystwyth Business School are taught by lecturers and other teaching staff who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
Over 75% of full time members of teaching staff are qualified to PhD level. Most are currently research active, meaning that students benefit from being taught ‘new’ knowledge in their chosen field of study as well as recognized literature. The School also employs part-time and full time staff devoted purely to teaching. Many part-time staff combine teaching duties with consultancy and business activities, ensuring that students have access not only to up to date research but the latest applied knowledge.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
- Business Environment *
- Financial Accounting 1
- Introduction to Financial Management
- Introduction to Management Accounting
- Management and Marketing Skills and Analysis
- Marketing Principles
* Also available partially or entirely through the medium of Welsh
What career opportunities exist after graduation?
This degree will prepare you for a career in any of these professions:
- Marketing Executive;
- Chartered Accountant;
- Chartered Certified Accountant;
- Chartered Management Accountant;
- Chartered Public Finance Accountant.
Many of our graduates have explored a career as/ within:
- Tax Advisor;
- Investment Analyst;
- Financial Trader;
- Retail Banking;
- Actuarial Industry;
- Market Researcher;
- Advertising Copywriter;
- Advertising Account Planner;
- Media Planner;
- Media Buyer;
Studying for a degree in Marketing with Accounting and Finance will equip you with a range of transferable skills which are highly valued by employers. These include:
- Ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner, in both written and oral form;
- Effective problem-solving;
- Analytical and creative thinking skills;
- Ability to work independently;
- Time-management and organisational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines;
- Self-motivation and self-reliance;
- Research skills.
In addition you will gain an:
- Understanding of organisational behaviour and structure
- Improved numeracy skills and the ability to research, interpret and use business and financial data
- Appreciation of the causes and effects of economic and other external changes
What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying?
Discover more about the various employment opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Teaching & Learning
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.
In your first year you will discover:
- The three key areas of Financial Accounting, Management Accounting and Financial Management;
- Quantitative techniques and the use of specialist statistical software;
- The fundamental principles of marketing;
- Marketing in a business context.
In your second year you will explore:
- Investment analysis;
- Portfolio selection and risk management;
- The specific rules and practices of accounting in fields such as audit and taxation;
- Corporate governance;
- Financial and management accounting;
- Business Law;
- Production campaigns;
- Strategic marketing;
- Consumer behaviour.
In your final year you will study:
- Trends in management accounting;
- Financial accounting and corporate finance;
- Options to focus on auditing, taxation or financial statement analysis;
- Marketing communications;
- Qualitative and Quantitative analysis of marketing situations;
- And undertake a compulsory independent research project.
How will I be taught?
Our course is taught through the medium of lectures, small-group seminars and tutorials. All our modules are available online after the lecture or seminar for you to watch in the comfort of your own room.
You will be assessed through:
- Assessed essays
You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
You will also have the opportunity to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP) at Aberystwyth. This is a structured process of self-appraisal, reflection, and planning, which will enable you to chart your personal, academic and professional development throughout your time at university. By recording your academic performance, and highlighting the skills you already have and those you will need for future employability, the PDP portfolio will equip you with the necessary tools to plan effectively, develop successful approaches to study, and consider your future career options and aspirations.
It provides a vast array of knowledge applicable to business as well as world markets. I find it challenging, but incredibly rewarding at the same time. The tutors are very approachable and always there to talk to and are ready to help whenever you need some guidance. All the careers advice that I have received so far has really helped me to shape the direction that I would ideally like to take in the future. Harry James Geyton
As I see it, Marketing is one of the most important topics of today's modern world. With the ever-growing internet age and the advances in technology, the world economy has seen radical transformations and the world's markets are more competitive than ever. And so, learning the theories and concepts behind marketing and its various aspects and links to the business world can help provide better understanding - and even opportunities for exploration of new methods and techniques of connecting and attracting customers. Danielle Storey
Typical Entry Requirements
A Levels BBC
GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
28 points overall
The University operates an inclusive admissions policy and our offers can vary. Please refer to our country-specific pages for details of the international qualifications we accept. For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org