If you are interested in a subject that is exciting, dynamic and one that will combine elements of consumer behaviour, psychology, management, human resources and culture, then the Aberystwyth Marketing degree is for you. Our Marketing degree which is taught in one of the top 4 Universities in the UK and the 1st in Wales for student satisfaction (NSS, 2016) will allow you to explore the changing use of information technology and digital media for marketing purposes. Aberystwyth University is accredited CIM Graduate Gateway centre, which means that you can study towards a CIM qualification whilst studying for a degree, or gain exemptions for certain CIM modules.
Aberystwyth Business School: 90% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)
96% of undergraduates from the Aberystwyth Business School who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)
- Teaching & Learning
- Student Views
Why study Marketing at Aberystwyth?
- Our programmes are accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM).
- On successful completion you can apply for exemption from 50% of the CIM Professional Diplomas.
- Our degree equips you with the multidisciplinary understanding of marketing which employers increasingly demand.
- Taught by experts who are leading in the Marketing sector and research.
- We have arrangements with many partner universities overseas to deliver short academic programmes (2 weeks) to small groups of management and business students (on a self-funding basis), to enable you to experience the impact of the cultural environment when conducting business abroad. We currently have partner universities in India, China, Russia, Japan, the United Arab Emirates and Brazil and our portfolio of countries is rapidly expanding.
Students at the Aberystwyth Business School are taught by lecturers and other teaching staff who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
Over 75% of full time members of teaching staff are qualified to PhD level. Most are currently research active, meaning that students benefit from being taught ‘new’ knowledge in their chosen field of study as well as recognized literature. The School also employs part-time and full time staff devoted purely to teaching. Many part-time staff combine teaching duties with consultancy and business activities, ensuring that students have access not only to up to date research but the latest applied knowledge.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
- Digital Marketing
- Independent Research Project In Management, Marketing And Tourism
- International Marketing
- Marchnata Rhyngwladol
- Marketing Case Studies
- Marketing Communications
- Prosiect Ymchwil Mewn Rheolaeth, Busnes A Marchnata
Career prospects: From Campus to Career
Many of our graduates have explored a career in:
- Marketing Executive
- Market Researcher
- Advertising Copywriter
- Advertising Account Planner
- Media Planner
- Media Buyer
- Public relations officers
What skills will I obtain from this degree?
Studying our degree in Marketing will equip you with the following skills:
- Improved numeracy skills and the ability to research, interpret and use statistics
- Deep understanding of the causes and effects of economic and other external changes
- The ability to communicate clearly in a written and spoken form
- Effective problem solving
- Analytical and creative thinking skills
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Time-Management and organisational skills
- Self-motivation and self-reliance
What work experience opportunities exist at Aberystwyth University?
Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Teaching & Learning
What will you learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.
In the first year you may discover:
- Fundamental principles of marketing
- Marketing in a business context
In the second year you may explore:
- The production of campaigns
- Strategic marketing
- Consumer behaviour
- Management research methods
- Business to Business marketing
- Customer relationship management
- Human resource management
In the third year you may study:
- Marketing Communications
- The nature and importance of international marketing and global brand awareness
- Qualitative and Quantitative analysis of marketing situations
- Formulation of effective marketing plans
- And undertake a compulsory independent research project
How will I be taught?
- Our students are taught through lectures, small-group seminars and tutorials.
- We assess our students through examinations, assessed essays, projects, reports, reflective diaries, portfolios and presentations. The coursework will develop your capacity to research, analyse and present an argument clearly and coherently, while seminars will help you hone your presentations skills.
- You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your time at Aberystwyth University. This person will assist you with all matters relating academic and non-academic.
As a third year undergraduate Marketing student, what I love about marketing is working on projects creating an experience and a perception which is as interesting and exciting to someone else as much as it is to me. Without marketing, life would be generally less interesting - we wouldn’t have the amusement of viral videos for example. Everyone loves unique and fun ways of approaching things in general. The Cadbury gorilla advert was loved by a nation and was thought up by creative people with business minds. That is why I love marketing. Callum Russell
Marketing will never get boring. Trends are forever changing and every marketer must keep up with them. For instance, organisational ethics or viral ads is the new thing at the moment! Victoria Claire Halliwell
As I see it, Marketing is one of the most important topics of today's modern world. With the ever-growing internet age and the advances in technology, the world economy has seen radical transformations and the world's markets are more competitive than ever. And so, learning the theories and concepts behind marketing and its various aspects and links to the business world can help provide better understanding - and even opportunities for exploration of new methods and techniques of connecting and attracting customers. Danielle Storey
A Levels BBC
GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
25 points overall