BA

Human Geography with International Politics

Key Facts

Code L7L2
  • Typical A-level offer

BBB with B in Geography, ABB without Geography

• Course Length

3 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

In choosing to study a degree in Human Geography with International Politics at Aberystwyth University you will be part of the Department of Geography and Earth Sciences, one of the largest and most dynamic departments of its kind in Britain. Human Geography with International Politics (L7L2) is an exciting and rewarding subject to study. You will explore the nature and impact of cultural, social, economic and political processes from the local to the global scale.

Top 10 in the UK for student satisfaction in the subject area of Human Geography (NSS 2016)
95% student satisfaction in the subject area of Human Geography (NSS 2016)
Top 10 in the UK for student satisfaction in the subject area of International Politics (NSS 2016)

Department of Geography and Earth Sciences: 95% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)

95% of undergraduates from the Department of Geography and Earth Sciences who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)

Department of International Politics: 95% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)

92% of undergraduates from the Department of International Politics who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

Why study Human Geography with International Politics at Aberystwyth University?

• Our students can participate in our fieldwork opportunities in Crete, Ireland, New York and New Zealand
  • We offer all students travel awards available each year to fund your own adventures (up to £400)
  • You will learn from our state of the art teaching facilities with the latest technology to enhance learning
  • You can benefit from fully stocked laboratories with an array of analytical instruments e.g. mass spectrometers and core scanners of which can be used for fieldwork and independent study
  • International Politics has been taught in Aberystwyth since 1919 after the end of World War I, and it’s the world’s first university department of International Politics
  • The department offers students to take part in the prestigious Parliamentary Placement scheme alongside an MP (House of Commons, Westminster) or an AM (Welsh Assembly, Cardiff). 
Our Staff

Department of Geography and Earth Science: lecturers are all qualified to PhD level or working towards a PhD.

Lecturers in the Department of International Politics are all research active and qualified to PhD level, and most also have a PGCHE.

Modules

Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.

Geography Joint Honours/major Project
Amlddiwylliannedd Mewn Polisi Ac Ymarfer
Capitalism And International Politics
Contemporary Latin America
European Politics
Intelligence And International Security
Multiculturalism In Policy And Practice
Nato: The Making And Breaking Of Alliances
Rhyfel Diarbed, Heddwch Diarbed
The Ethics Of War In Theory And Practice
The League Of Nations
The Past And Present Of Us Intelligence
The Vietnam War
Total War, Total Peace
Wales And Devolution
Warfare After Waterloo: Military History 1815 - 1918
Warfare In The 20th Century:technology And Strategy
Aesthetics, Image And Narrative In Global Politics
America At War: A Military History Of The United States
Britain And Ireland In War And Peace Since 1800
Espionage Studies
Eu Simulation
Gender And Sexuality In Latin America
Global Economic Governance
Global Health And International Politics
Ideas And Practice In American Politics
International Politics And Non-western Worlds
Political Theory
Special Forces: Theory And Practice
The Cold War
The Cuban Missile Crisis
The Diplomacy Of Decline: Britain & World Politics 1851-2001
Theorizing International Relations
War, Politics And Strategy
Geographies Of Memory
Landscapes Of British Modernity
Regional Geographies
Geographies Of The Global Countryside
Urban Risk And Environmental Resilience
World Regional Islam

Modules delivered partially or entirely through the medium of Welsh

Prosiect Daearyddiaeth Anrhydedd Cyfun/prif Bwnc
Cudd-wybodaeth A Diogelwch Rhyngwladol
Cymru A Datganoli
Y Meddwl Cymreig Mewn Syniadaeth Ryngwladol
Damcaniaethau Gwleidyddiaeth
Gwleidyddiaeth Ryngwladol A Bydoedd Anorllewinol
Daearyddiaethau Cenedlaetholdeb

Employability

What opportunities are there for me after I complete my degree?

Here is an example of what our graduates are doing;

Civil Service fast streamer, Security Service Officer, Government research officer, public affairs consultant, Social researcher.

What opportunities are there for me whilst studying at University?

Employability is embedded across our teaching. We teach our students to aim for the career they want, not the job that they can get.

• The Department operates a prestigious Parliamentary Placement scheme, enabling you to gain valuable experience working alongside an MP (House of Commons, Westminster) or an AM (Welsh Assembly, Cardiff) for a period of 4-6 weeks during the summer. During this time, you will write reports and speeches, undertake research projects, and respond to constituency issues. There may be further opportunities for you to get involved in elections and various international issues.
  • The Department is also home to Interstate, the oldest student-run international politics journal in the United Kingdom, providing a unique opportunity for you to publish your work (particularly advantageous if you wish to progress to postgraduate study) or gain valuable experience working as part of the editorial team. Stimulating student societies foster a strong sense of community within the department, offering a programme of political debates, visiting speakers, conferences and workshops, alongside numerous social activities such as an annual ball.
  • Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
    Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department. 

What skills will acquire if I studied Human Geography with International Politics at Aberystwyth University?

Studying for a degree in Human Geography with International Politics will equip you with a range of transferable skills which are highly valued by employers. These include:
• the ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner, in both written and oral form
• effective problem-solving and creative thinking skills
• the ability to work independently
• time-management and organisational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines
• self-motivation and self-reliance
• team-working, with the ability to discuss concepts in groups, accommodating different ideas and reaching agreement
• research skills

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.

In your first year you will be introduced to:

• Key concepts in geographical study
  • Issues and techniques in the collection, analysis and presentation of geographical data
  • Climate change
  • Landscape processes
  • Economic development
  • The development and progress of international relations during the twentieth century
  • Central approaches to the study of international relations
  • The different methodologies to the analysis of topical issues in world politics
  • The making of the modern world
  • Political theory
  • Contemporary political problems
  • War, Strategy and Intelligence

In your second year you will develop further in:

• Your field
  • Laboratory and computer research skills in preparation for your independent research project
  • You will learn how to analyse quantitative datasets
  • Produce maps and other graphical representations of geographical data.
  • Participate in a residential field trip in the UK or overseas.
  • You can also choose optional modules to specialise or simply maintain a broad interest across Geography
  • Globalisation
  • Cyber warfare
  • The EU
  • Espionage
  • Latin America

-

In your third year:

• You will undertake an independent research project involving collection, analysis and interpretation of your own data.
  • You will be allocated your own advisor who will provide guidance.
  • The Cold War
  • Military History
  • Contemporary Warfare
  • The reconstruction of states
  • Optional modules as diverse as glaciology, hydrology, volcanic hazards, past climate change, urbanisation, and rural change will enable you to tailor your study to suit your interests.

How will I be taught?

Our courses are taught through lectures, seminars and laboratory or computer practical, small group tutorials, field courses and individual supervision of project work.

How will I be assessed?

We assess our students through a different range of methods. Some modules are assessed in part through traditional exams, but some have elements of coursework. We also have some modules that may require the student to produce practical reports, oral presentations, the design of web pages, production of short films, or contribution to online discussion forums. Some modules, notably the tutorials and field courses are assessed entirely through coursework. 

Student Views

I love it! I have been exposed to a variety of different subject areas and it has allowed me to choose my own modules to fit with my interests. The tutors are great, approachable and friendly. Would recommend to anyone considering doing human geography. Ashley Wilding

I love my Human Geography course because it has made me look at the world around me in a different and more interesting way. I can understand why it is like it is, and what it might look like in the future. It has really opened up my eyes to the different processes which shape our modern society. Rebecca Priest

My Human Geography course allows me to look at the world from a different perspective, appreciating the idea of place and the way sense of place shapes everyday life. I now can sit on a park bench and 'people watch'; analysing how people act in public spaces, but under the title of ethnography. Human geography takes into account the spatial relations of areas that have not been considered before, or have been taken for granted. It is like looking through a pair of epistemological glasses. Florence Genis

Entry Requirements

A Levels BBB with B in Geography, ABB without Geography

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh

BTEC National Diploma:
DMM-DDM with specified subject

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
28-30 points overall with 4-5 points in Geography at Higher Level

European Baccalaureate:
65-75% overall with 70% in specified subject

Back to the top