BA

Human Geography

Key Facts

Code L700
  • Typical A-level offer

BBB with B in Geography, ABB without Geography

• Course Length

3 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

Aberystwyth University’s Department of Geography and Earth Sciences is the most established and experienced department of its kind. Aberystwyth University offers you the unique opportunity to study geography in one of the most picturesque locations in Europe. Set on the coast of Cardigan Bay and surrounded by a great diversity of beautiful environments, including marine, moorland, mountain and grassland, the Department of Geography and Earth Sciences is uniquely placed to make the most of the stunning landscapes that surround it, providing you with a fabulous variety of fieldwork and recreational opportunities. This degree will equip you with the skills, abilities and expertise to face and engage with the challenges facing society today. 

Top 10 in the UK for student satisfaction in the subject area of Human Geography (NSS 2016)
95% student satisfaction in the subject area of Human Geography (NSS 2016)
94% student satisfaction for our Human Geography degree scheme (NSS 2016)

Department of Geography and Earth Sciences: 95% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)

95% of undergraduates from the Department of Geography and Earth Sciences who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

Why study Human Geography at Aberystwyth University?

As a large dynamic Geography community we are able to offer you an extremely broad range of geographical specialism, opportunities and facilities;

• Current trends in Geohazards
  • Urban sustainability
  • Regional Development
  • Political and Cultural geography
  • Fieldwork opportunities in New Zealand, Crete, New York, and Ireland
  • Travel awards available each year to fund your own adventures (up to £400)
  • State of the art teaching facilities with the latest technology to enhance learning
  • Fully stocked laboratories with an array of analytical instruments e.g. mass spectrometers and core scanners of which can be used for fieldwork and independent study
Our Staff

Department of Geography and Earth Science: lecturers are all qualified to PhD level or working towards a PhD.

Modules

Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.

Employability

What can I do with a degree in Human Geography?

Our graduates have, for example, found employment as environmental consultants, planners, civil servants, surveyors, and in education amongst many other things.

Employability is embedded within all courses provided by us. Our degrees provide a solid foundation for a vast array of careers across a range of sectors. In a rapidly shifting global economy, our graduates are adaptable and able to draw on a range of transferable skills, ensuring that they are always in demand.

The skill sets include:

• Enhanced mathematical and computational skills
  • Effective problem solving and creative thinking skills
  • Information technology skills
  • Ability to work independently and as part of a team
  • Time-management, organisational skills
  • Communication skills both written and oral
  • Self-motivation and self-reliance

Further opportunities:

Work Opportunities:

If you are interested in undertaking valuable work experience during your degree, then perhaps our sister course (L703) may be some interest to you. This course combines the identical syllabus as L700, however you will undertake your work placement in-between your second and final year. 

International Opportunities:

If you would like to study abroad during your degree, then our sister course (L704) may be for you. You will have the opportunity to study in any of our partner Universities across the world in- between your second and final year.

DGES has also established Erasmus Exchange Programmes with the University of Bergen, the University of Oulu, Finland, and the University Centre in Svalbard, giving students the unique experience of studying in one of the world’s most extreme environments. We also have strong links with a number of universities in North America, where students can complete their second year of study. In recent years, our Exchange Co-ordinator has overseen placements at Purdue University (Indiana), the University of Alabama, the University of Georgia, the University of Montana and the University of Ottawa in Canada.

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.

In your first year you will be introduced to:

• Key concepts in geographical study
  • Issues and techniques in the collection, analysis and presentation of geographical data
  • Climate change
  • Economic development
  • Globalization
  • Global Environmental Change

In your second year you will develop further in:

• Computer research skills in preparation for your independent research project
  • You will learn how to analyse qualitative datasets
  • Produce maps and other graphical representations of geographical data.
  • Participate in a residential field trip in the UK or overseas.
  • You can also choose optional modules to specialise or simply maintain a broad interest across Geography

In your third year:

• You will undertake an independent research project involving collection, analysis and interpretation of your own data.
  • You will be allocated your own advisor who will provide guidance.
  • Optional modules as diverse as urbanisation, rural change, and regional policy will enable you to tailor your study to suit your interests.

How will I be taught?

Our courses are taught through lectures, seminars, computer practical classes, small group tutorials, field courses, and individual supervision of project work.

How will I be assessed?

We assess our students through a different range of methods. Some modules are assessed in part through traditional exams, but some have elements of coursework. We also have some modules that may require the student to produce practical reports, oral presentations, the design of web pages, production of short films, or contribution to online discussion forums. Some modules, notably the tutorials and field courses are assessed entirely through coursework. 

Student Views

I love it! I have been exposed to a variety of different subject areas and it has allowed me to choose modules to fit with my own interests. The tutors are great, approachable and friendly. I would recommend the course and Aberystwyth to anyone considering doing human geography. Ashley Wilding.

I love my Human Geography course because it has made me look at the world around me in a different and more interesting way. I can understand why it is like it is, and what it might look like in the future. It has really opened up my eyes to the different processes which shape our modern society. Rebecca Priest.

My course - L700 Human Geography - allows you to look at the world from a different perspective, appreciating the idea of place and the way a sense of place shapes everyday life. I now can sit on a park bench and 'people-watch'; analysing how people act in public spaces, but under the title of ethnography. Human geography takes into account the spatial relations of areas that have not been considered before, or have been taken for granted. It is like looking through a pair of epistemological glasses. Florence Genis.

Entry Requirements

A Levels BBB with B in Geography, ABB without Geography

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh

BTEC National Diploma:
DMM-DDM with specified subject

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
28-30 points overall with 4-5 points in Geography at Higher Level

European Baccalaureate:
65-75% overall with 70% in specified subject

Back to the top