BSc

Genetics

BSc Genetics Code C400 Apply Now Scholarships and Bursaries worth over £15,000 – apply now

Apply Now

Key Facts

Code C400
  • Typical A-level offer

BBC-BBB with B in Biology or Human Biology. Candidates taking a science A level with an associated practical skills assessment will also be required to pass the practical component.

• Course Length

3 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

If you are fascinated by genetics, and want to tackle important scientific issues like the genetic modification of organisms, or genetic prediction of human disease, then this is the scheme for you! On completion of this degree, your career options could span from biomedical research to biotechnology to pharmaceutical industry and careers within Higher Education.

[NSS/DLHE Awards]

Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS): 91% student satisfaction (NSS 2017)

97% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 3% more than Biological Science graduates nationally, (HESA 2017)

Overview

Why study Genetics at Aberystwyth University?

• We place great emphasis upon practical skills, so that our graduates become practitioners from the word go. This is why 97% of our graduates were in work or further study 6 months after graduation. This figure is 3% higher than Biological Sciences graduates nationally (DLHE, 2017)We ensure that our graduates have the skills to communicate their science effectively, so that they can join the often controversial genetics debates.
  • Students in our department have access to  research and teaching labs equipped with modern equipment, including bioimaging facilities, high-throughput DNA sequencing, proteomics, metabolomics, phenomics and spectroscopic platforms. These facilities provides students with the opportunity to develop the key skills that employers are seeking. 

Want to study in Welsh? 

Students can choose to study a number of IBERS modules through the medium of Welsh. Check out the module tab for more information!

Our Staff

The majority of teaching staff at the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences are qualified to PhD level and are research active. Vocational courses also have staff whose background lies within industry.  The Institute has a large number of research only staff with whom students may have contact.

Modules

Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.

Employability

Where are our Genetics graduates now? 

• Genetic Technologist at Liverpool Women’s Hospital
  • Clinical Scientist at Birmingham Women’s Hospital
  • Research Scientist at the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
  • Post-doctoral research Associate at the University of Manchester
  • MSc student in Developmental Biology at the University of Bath
  • PhD at the University of Leicester

Employability is embedded across all of our teaching in the department.

• We offer our students the opportunities to undertake a Year in Employment Scheme (YES). Some of our students have been successful in obtaining work placements with GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca. 

What other work experience opportunities exist whilst studying? 

Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.

Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department. 

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.

Studying Genetics at Aberystwyth University will allow you to discover the following:

• Cell biology;
  • Proteins and enzymes;
  • Chromosome genetics;
  • Gene expression and development;
  • Evolution and population genetics;
  • Biotechnology.

You will also receive expert tuition in the following:

• Scientific protocol;
  • Hands on lab work;
  • Correct experimental methodology for recording, interpreting and reporting data.

How will I be taught?

We deliver our course through lectures, seminars and lab work.

We assess our students through:

• Essays
  • Practical exercises
  • Oral presentations
  • Exams
  • You may also be required to complete additional assignments and work with others on particular tasks
More information:

You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.

The lectures, seminars and the Department's supportive staff will greatly assist you in your biological training. You will also benefit from the many opportunities within the department and the university to develop your academic rigour and professionalism so that, upon graduation, you are perfectly positioned for the next stage of your career.

Student Views

Genetics is at the cutting edge of the biological sciences. In the post-genomic era, we are able to truly examine our biological programming at a molecular level. What I really enjoy about the course, C400, is that you have the ability to tailor it to your areas of interest, choosing your own combinations of modules which reflect the areas you want to explore most, all the while gaining valuable knowledge and practical experience to help shape your career path. Richard Cleverley

For me, the appeal of genetics is rooted in its universal and diverse nature; it is captivating to consider the fact that every variety of living organism is constructed from a blueprint, written within molecules of DNA. My delight in genetics is intensified by the positive impact its application can have on people’s lives, and with so much still to be discovered, surely the best is yet to come. Studying at Aberystwyth University has facilitated my enjoyment of genetics and has provided the resources that make it possible for me to continue to take pleasure in genetics. Nathan Luke Greenaway

My course at Aberystwyth University prepared me for my PhD by challenging me to understand the core cellular and molecular principles integral to cellular function. What I’ve learned from interacting with other graduates is that the scope of teaching at IBERS is much broader, giving a much better understanding of the fundamentals of biology than other courses
Phil – Studying for PhD at the University of York

My degree in Genetics and Biochemistry gave me a good grounding that prepared me very well for my PhD. In fact, one of the courses, Gene Expression and Developmental Genetics inspired me to work in the area of Developmental Biology, which is what I work at today. I will be eternally grateful for the chance I was given and the teaching I received
Roger – Professor of Neuroscience, University of Copenhagen

Typical Entry Requirements

A Levels BBC-BBB with B in Biology or Human Biology. Candidates taking a science A level with an associated practical skills assessment will also be required to pass the practical component.

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics and a Science subject

BTEC National Diploma:
DDM

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
30 points overall with 5 points in Biology at Higher Level

European Baccalaureate:
65-70% overall with 75% in specified subject

Applicants are considered on their individual merits and offers can vary. For further information, please contact ug-admissions@aber.ac.uk

Back to the top