BA

Fine Art

Key Facts

Code W100
  • Typical A-level offer

BBC with B in Art or appropriate plus satisfactory portfolio

• Course Length

3 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

Fine Art at Aberystwyth University will allow you to develop new or broaden and deepen your skills in painting, printmaking, drawing, photography, book illustration, experimental film, installation and site-specific performance. Our Fine Art programme offers you training that connects traditional skills with contemporary practice and theory. On completion of this degree, you will emerge with real world capabilities, enabling you to pursue careers as artists, curators, educators. 

Top 5 in the UK for Fine Art subject area (NSS 2016)
100% student satisfaction for Fine Art degree course (NSS 2016)

School of Art: 100% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)

100% of undergraduates from the School of Art who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

Why study Fine Art at Aberystwyth University?

• Benefit from the disciplined acquisition of technical expertise, the formation of creative intelligence, and an historical, critical, theoretical and contemporary aware of Fine Art practice
  • Make a valued contribution to a close community of students and staff within a well-respected School of Art that was established in 1917
  • Gain access to excellent teaching facilities that include well-lit studios for painting, darkrooms, print workshops, a MacS suite, seminar rooms, lecture theatre, galleries and a museum all housed in a magnificent Grade II* listed building
  • We have been awarded Accredited Museum Status by Arts Council England. This demonstrates that our collection care and management are at the highest standard. 
  • Learn from experienced staff who are internationally renowned artists, curators and art historians
  • Enjoy our close association with the university Arts Centre that is one of the largest in the UK and a major venue for exhibitions by contemporary artists and designers
  • Participate in our study visits within the UK or abroad (destinations have included Madrid, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, New York, Vienna, Barcelona, Venice, Moscow, St Petersburg, Florence, Budapest and Lisbon)
  • Enter the degree scheme directly from school or from a foundation course
Our Staff

Through their active involvement with the practice, history and curation of art, staff members of the School of Art seek to provide a rich learning environment for the student. Their experience as exhibiting artists, publishing art historians and practising curators actively informs the teaching.

Modules

Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.

Employability

What career opportunities are the for me on completion of this degree?

As well as establishing careers as practicing artists with significant exhibition profiles, our graduates have become employees

• Design Council
  • Arts Council
  • Tate Gallery
  • Victoria and Albert Museum
  • Royal Academy of Arts
  • Carlton Television
  • The Observer
  • Saachi Gallery
  • Damien Hirst
  • BBC
  • Viz magazine
  • Royal Collections Trust

Some of our graduates are, for example, currently:

• university professors
  • secondary school teachers
  • art gallery managers and exhibition curators
  • children’s book illustrators
  • photographers
  • portrait painters
  • graphic designers
  • art directors in publishing
  • medical illustrators
  • animators

How does the degree prepare me for my career?

• You will gain skills that are highly valued by employers, preparing you to:
  • Conceive creative solutions for specific problems
  • Research, evaluate and organise information
  • Clearly communicate both in writing and verbally
  • Work independently and with others
  • Manage your time
  • Become self-motivated and disciplined

What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying? 

Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.

Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department. 

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.

In your first year, through the disciplined acquisition of fundamental technical skills, you will explore:

• Drawing and Painting
  • Book illustration
  • Printmaking
  • Photography
  • Interdisciplinary thinking and practice
  • Life Room studies
  • Art History
  • Academic writing skills
  • Introduction to the critical understanding of Fine Art

In your second year you will:

• Specialise in your chosen discipline(s)
  • Deepen your exploration of ideas and demonstrate technical proficiency
  • Develop a programme of tutor-led self-directed practice and research that evidences an experimental approach and gives expression to a personal voice as an artist
  • Grow a self-critical approach to creative working and professional methods
  • Position your art practice within contemporary contexts and historical traditions

In your third year you will be expected to:

• Produce a body or work that demonstrates conceptual and technical coherence
  • Articulate the broad critical and contextual dimensions of your discipline
  • Demonstrate a knowledge of historical, contemporary and emerging practices relevant to your field of study
  • Commit to subject for a sustained period
  • Generate ideas independently or collaboratively in response to set assignments or self-initiated practice
  • Develop a personal, individual and imaginative response your chosen topic
  • Consolidate skill-, subject- and conceptual-bases acquired over three years to produce a body of qualitative work for public exhibition
  • Develop a professional profile or identity as an artist

How will I be taught?

• Our programme is delivered through workshops, tutorials, demonstrations, practicals, lectures, crits and field trips.
  • Assessment is by course work – portfolio exhibition, presentation.
  • You will also be assigned a personal tutor to whom you may turn for guidance and help, academic-related or pastoral. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice. 

Student Views

The lecturers are really passionate and knowledgeable about art and their own disciplines. I feel like I am always growing and improving as an artist, as my tutors take time to give me good constructive feedback. Amelia Jenkinson

I love the variety you get from Fine Art. There are no fixed rules for the work you can produce and you are able to fully express your ideas in whatever way you wish. The tutors are helpful and encouraging and there is always someone on hand to guide you, whether that be staff or other students. Jamie Carpenter-White

Everyone comments on how much I have improved over the last few years and I can see it in myself as well. I've learnt so much over my uni time - in particular how to deal with constructive criticism and use it to actually help me! Throughout my GCSE and A-Level years I never really received much criticism, my teachers were always so impressed with my work that I never really pushed myself to the next level. Their teaching left me used to being complimented, it was a massive shock at first coming to university and going from the top in my class at school to just one amongst so many talented students. And although it was initially frustrating being faced with constructive criticism, I appreciate it so much now, if I wasn’t told the truth and pushed to be the best that I can be then I would never have improved at all. Thank you so much! I hope I will continue improving and achieving things! Maria Tilt 

Entry Requirements

A Levels BBC with B in Art or appropriate plus satisfactory portfolio

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh

BTEC National Diploma:
DMM plus satisfactory portfolio

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
30 points overall with Art or appropriate at Higher Level plus satisfactory portfolio

European Baccalaureate:
65% overall with Art or appropriate plus satisfactory portfolio

Back to the top