BA

European Languages

This course is available through Clearing.
Call free phone: +44 (0) 800 121 40 80

Key Facts

Code R900
  • Typical A-level offer

BBC with B in a relevant language unless to be studied as a beginner

• Course Length

4 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

The BA European Languages degree allows you to study three languages simultaneously. With a choice of French, German, Italian and Spanish, this degree will allow you to develop fluent linguistic competencies in speaking, listening, reading, writing, translating and interpreting. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to explore the society, culture, social and professional relevance of your chosen three languages through our broad range of options.  If you are interested in developing your language competencies and exploring the language further in a social, cultural and professional aspect, then our BA European Languages is the course for you. 

Department of Modern Languages: 96% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)

96% of undergraduates from the Department of Modern Languages who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

Why study Modern Languages at Aberystwyth University?

• In the 2016 National Student Survey (NSS), we are 1st for French and in the top 5 in the UK for Spanish.
  • You will have the option to start one language at beginner level or both at advanced level (in order to study a language at beginners’ level, you must have at least one advanced qualification in one of the languages).
  • You can study a second language from beginners’ level in your second year.
  • We offer our students 4 hours of language work per week (most universities offer 2-3 hours).
  • You will be taught by native speakers and experts in the languages of the department.
  • You will have the opportunity to develop your linguistic competencies further and explore the diverse cultural heritage of each language.
  • Our department has excellent employment rates post-graduation.
  • Our students have a vast range of choices for their year abroad, where students can choose from work placements to study placements.
  • We are an exceptionally friendly department, and our students benefit from the close contact with teaching staff.
  • Students can benefit from our state- of –the- art facilities including our Language Resource Centre.
Our Staff

All of the lecturers in the Dept of Modern Languages are qualified to PhD level and are research active. We also employ language tutors, some of whom have a PhD, and all of whom are experienced teachers. We occasionally employ native-speakers from our partner universities abroad (lectors) who come to us highly recommended on the basis of their academic achievement at the home university, and many of whom have trained as teachers. The fourth group is part-time staff who are employed on the basis of their expertise in a particular specialist area.  

Modules

Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.

Employability

Employability is embedded across our teaching within the Department of Modern Languages. The Year Abroad is where our graduates are more distinguished than others. On successful completion of the Year Abroad, students return with an increased skill set, stronger language competencies and the ability to adapt in any situations. 

Our graduates have been successful in seeking employment after graduation. Our graduates are successful in these fields:

• Translation and Interpretation 
  • Broadcasting 
  • Education 
  • Marketing 
  • Human Resources 
  • Website development 
  • International Banking
  • Civil Service 
  • Research

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the four year degree scheme.

During your four years, you will have four weekly hours of language work, which includes:

Oral

Written

Aural

Translation

In the first year you may discover:

• Introduction to literary studies and civilisation
  • European Film
  • Politics and culture of language across Europe
  • Hispanic civilisation
  • The cultural history of Italy
  • Ways of reading German literature

In your second year you may explore:

• Romance linguistics
  • Possibility of independent research project
  • Option of specialised languages modules (language of business etc.)
  • A vast choice of content modules on literature, film and art
  • Modern Literature
  • Prose in German literature
  • Current issues in French and francophone society
  • Teaching English to speakers of other languages 

In your third year, you will take part in your Year Abroad where you will study with our partner Universities under the Erasmus + Programme

In your final year, you may study:

• Semantics and Lexicography
  • Cultural and Artistic Movements
  • French Literature of 18th and 19th Century
  • Current issues in a Spanish speaking country
  • A compulsory independent research project

How will I be taught?

Our students are taught through the medium of lectures, seminars and language workshops

We assess our students in variety of ways depending on the modules. In our language classes you will be assessed through continuous assessments and an exam at the end of Year 1 and Year 4. Our elective and compulsory modules are assessed through coursework in the format of a presentation and/ or essay and an examination.

Your progress will be regularly monitored through tutorial consultations and with the Personal Development Portfolio (PDP). In your last year, in order to prepare you for life after university, the PDP is replaced by writing a CV and cover letter in French.

Student Views

I love the fact that there's such an amazing choice of topics that we can talk about. It's not just learning a language, it's politics, history, the environment, science and life all rolled into one big degree, except that it's in another language! It opens your perspectives and you see the world in a different light. The year abroad lets you find this out for yourself! There are so many places to go, places to see and explore for an entire year. Of course it all costs, but with a little saving, couch-surfing and friends, you can have fab weekends off from your studies. It's awesome! This course is great; the best thing is the French lecturers. Skie Ruby Holden

My degree helped me turn my interest in languages into a passion and gave me the possibility of turning it into a successful career. It was exactly what I wanted - interactive and engaging lectures, broad range of facilities available, the possibility to study in another country as an exchange student and a chance to enjoy university life at a top level. I had the best four years in my life and am now looking forward to putting into practice all the knowledge I've acquired throughout my course! Stoyan Emilov Stoyanov

I love languages and want to be able to speak as many as possible. With this course I can take 3 languages and also have literature/culture modules in my major languages! Not to mention the obligatory year abroad is a fantastic opportunity to get out there and immerse myself totally in what I love! And I have an excuse to read Harry Potter over and over again ... in different languages (for academic purposes!) The course puts me in touch with all of the different ways of learning a language and covers grammar and translation whilst also giving me the opportunity to practise speaking. The classes are interesting and I have met some of the most awesome people there. Through the course I have been introduced to poetry, literature, film and music from different countries and eras. Christina Rose Barron

Typical Entry Requirements

A Levels BBC with B in a relevant language unless to be studied as a beginner

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh

BTEC National Diploma:
DMM with specified subjects

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
28 points overall with 5 points in a relevant language at Higher Level unless to be studied as a beginner

European Baccalaureate:
68% with 70% in a relevant language unless to be studied as a beginner

Applicants are considered on their individual merits and offers can vary. For further information, please contact ug-admissions@aber.ac.uk

Back to the top