FDSc

Equine Studies

FDSc Equine Studies Code D324 Apply Now Register for an Open Day

Apply Now

Key Facts

Code D324
  • Typical A-level offer

CC-DDD

• Course Length

2 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

This two-year vocational qualification is perfect for anyone wishing to gain a valuable qualification and experience in the equine industry. The equine centre at Aber is a designated BHS "Where to Train" centre and this means the riding you undertake as part of the FdSc course is based on BHS exam system, preparing you for your BHS stages if you wish to train towards them. The FdSc Equine Studies course includes practical instruction of the care and daily management of the horse and has a strong industry and business flavour. A number of science modules will ease you into BSc equine courses if you wish to progress on successful graduation.

Successful completion of this foundation degree will provide you with the opportunity to progress to a BSc honours degree in an animal / equine-related subject, should you wish to do so (subject to grades).

Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS): 91% student satisfaction (NSS 2017)

97% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 3% more than Biological Science graduates nationally,(DLHE 2017)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

• Superb teaching and research facilities
  • Expert, internationally renowned and passionate teaching staff
  • A fantastic equine centre with Olympic size indoor arena, all-weather manège, round pen, horse walker and livery facilities
  • A stunning coastal location with miles of unspoiled beaches to gallop on a few miles from the equine center.
  • Opportunities for work experience, foreign exchanges, internships, bursaries and training towards BHS exams

We have all the facilities you need to develop into a first rate equine scientist. Facilities include

• Modern teaching laboratories
  • Olympic size indoor arena
  • Stables, horse walker and all-weather ménage
  • Livery facilities

A prize-winning institute that can help you achieve your full potential

• Our students have won the “Biology Student of the Year” award at the European Science, Engineering, and Technology (SET) Awards, and the Welsh Ornithologists’ Union Student Prize!
  • Our Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS) received the ''Outstanding Contribution to Innovation and Technology'' award at the 2013 Times Higher Education Awards. 
  • Our Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS) in conjunction with Bangor University had the 5th strongest submission in the UK for the Research Excellence Framework assessment (2014).

Students can elect to study a number of IBERS modules in the medium of Welsh. Check out the module tab for more information!

Our Staff

The majority of teaching staff at the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences are qualified to PhD level and are research active. Vocational courses also have staff whose background lies within industry.  The Institute has a large number of research only staff with whom students may have contact.

Modules

Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.

Employability

What opportunities exist after I graduate?

Your degree in Equine studies will provide an excellent basis for a career in the following:

Management and supervision

Equine Enterprises

Stud Manager

Trainer

Nutrition Research Officer

Horse Passport officer

RSPCA inspector

Transferable Skills:

Studying for a foundation degree in Equine Studies will equip you with a range of transferable skills which are highly valued by employers. These include:

• the ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner, in both written and oral form

• effective problem-solving

• analytical and creative thinking skills

• decision-making

• research and data analysis skills

• the ability to work independently

• time-management and organisational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines

• self-motivation and self-reliance

• team-working, with the ability to discuss concepts in groups, accommodating different ideas and reaching agreement

You will have a compelling combination of academic expertise, field practice and laboratory experience. You will have first-rate analytical and data handling skills; valuable experience in the management of people, animals and resources; and you will possess the latest expertise in equine-related welfare.

What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying? 

Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.

Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department. 

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the two year programme.

In the first year you will explore:

-          Equine business and industry

-          Equine anatomy

-          Breeding and stud management

-          Animal Science

-          Land use

-          You gain practical skills in horsemastership, which will be beneficial to your 6-week compulsory work experience

In the second year you will discover:

-          Nutrition

-          Exercise physiology

-          Applied animal behaviour and welfare

-          Analyse, budget and appraise a rural business

-          Optional modules may include veterinary science, equitation and equestrian event management

How will I be taught?

You will be taught through a balanced programme of lectures, seminars, workshops, practicals, field visits and lab work.

Assessment method may take various forms such as essays, practical exercises, oral presentations, exams, lab reports, worksheets, case studies, practical reports, portfolios, magazine articles, webpages and podcasts.

Further information:

You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.

You will also have the opportunity to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP) at Aberystwyth. This is a structured process of self-appraisal, reflection, and planning, which will enable you to chart your personal, academic and professional development throughout your time at university. By recording your academic performance, and highlighting the skills you already have and those you will need for future employability, the PDP portfolio will equip you with the necessary tools to plan effectively, develop successful approaches to study, and consider your future career options and aspirations.

Student Views

The Equine Studies course was a wonderful mixture of practical and theoretical skills.  I studied for another year to achieve a BSc Hons degree in Equine Studies.  Following this I was based in New Zealand, where I was Stud Manager at Equibreed NZ Ltd; an Equine Reproduction clinic. I have moved into sales and marketing working for Equilume Ltd but still based around Equine Reproduction. Through this company I still get to travel the world, meet amazing people and be part of current research projects.  Without the foundation of knowledge from higher education my journey would not have been possible and what a journey it has been.  Emma – Equilume Ltd.

What I love about Equine Studies is that I've learned to ride all kinds of horses and to take what I know and adapt my riding style to suit each individual horse. I've learned things about horses to a level that I never would have achieved otherwise; nutrition, for example, has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Great course! Jessica Lee Macnamara

Equine Studies allows you to study a wide variety of equine-related topics, so there is always likely to be something that you will really enjoy. The staff are friendly and helpful, especially the yard staff. You can speak to the staff as if they are your friends as well as tutors. The horses in the yard give a great opportunity for anyone, no matter what your level of riding ability. A really good course for anyone who loves horses. Lisa Ann Ainscough

When I came for my interview I felt at home straightaway. The campus was really friendly and the town seemed a great place to live and study. During my first year at Aberystwyth my lectures on equine breeding and stud management along with our study tour of Newmarket sparked my interest in Thoroughbred breeding and led me to pursue employment in this area.
Emma - Stud office secretary for Darley Stud Management Co Ltd, Newmarket

The main reason I went to Aberystwyth was because I wanted to do a practical course to do with horses, which is offered with the Foundation Degree. I was then able to top this up to an honours degree. Aberystwyth University has a fantastic reputation. I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent in Aberystwyth – I had a lot of fun and made some lifelong friends
Sian - Groom for Team Berkley

The course that I studied was excellent in that it combined a great deal of practical work with the theory which I feel is essential. I feel that the excellent lecturing style and approach to lecturing by most of the staff has been the most significant influence on my lecturing style today
Ruth - Higher Education Lecturer, Hartpury College now at Glynllifon College

Typical Entry Requirements

A Levels CC-DDD

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics or a Science subject

BTEC National Diploma:
MMP

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
24 points overall

European Baccalaureate:
60% overall

Applicants are considered on their individual merits and offers can vary. For further information, please contact ug-admissions@aber.ac.uk

Back to the top