BSc

Equine Science

BSc Equine Science Code D322 Apply Now Scholarships and Bursaries worth over £15,000 – apply now

Apply Now

Key Facts

Code D322
  • Typical A-level offer

BCC-BBC with B in Biology or Human Biology. Candidates taking a science A level with an associated practical skills assessment will also be required to pass the practical component.

• Course Length

3 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

With a long history of teaching equine science and outstanding teaching facilities for this specialist subject area, our degree at Aberystwyth University will allow you to explore horse reproduction including breeding technologies, its nutrition, welfare and care for maximum performance and its management in relation to exercise physiology and health.  

[NSS/DLHE Awards]

Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS): 91% student satisfaction (NSS 2017)

97% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 3% more than Biological Science graduates nationally, (HESA 2017)

Overview

Why study Equine Science at Aberystwyth University?

• You will have access to superb teaching and research facilities including state of the art labs.
  • You will be taught by our internationally renowned passionate teaching staff who are experts in their fields for animal science and equine research.
  • The department houses a fantastic equine centre with Olympic size indoor arena, all-weather manège, round pen, horse walker and livery facilities including turnout.
  • Aberystwyth is located in an outstanding coastal location with miles of unspoiled beaches to gallop upon a few miles from the equine centre!
  • All students on this course will have the opportunity to undertake work experience, international student exchanges, internships, bursaries and training towards BHS exams.

Students can elect to study a number of IBERS modules in the medium of Welsh. Check out the module tab for more information!

Our Staff

The majority of teaching staff at the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences are qualified to PhD level and are research active. Vocational courses also have staff whose background lies within industry.  The Institute has a large number of research only staff with whom students may have contact.

Modules

Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.

Employability

What opportunities are there for me?

Our alumni are currently pursuing careers in the following:

• Research Scientist;
  • Working at nutrition companies;
  • Stud manager;
  • Agriculture Business;
  • Scientific journalism;
  • Teaching (primary and secondary schools, FE colleges).

Studying Equine science, you will develop specialist skills may including:

• Ability to evaluate the  nutrition, training and welfare needs of horses;
  • Undertake physiological assessment and monitoring.

What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying? 

Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer. 

Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department. 

As a specialist branch of Zoology, your BSc in Equine Science opens up a range of exciting opportunities for employment and further training. In addition, the work placement opportunities available to you will help you gain valuable industry experience. 

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.

In the first year you will discover:

• The anatomy and physiology of the horse;
  • Key principles of genetics and metabolism;
  • The equine industry;
  • The effects of exercise and training upon specific body systems.

You may also take part in a study tour, this may consist of:

• Different equine-related organisations;
  • Racing training stables;
  • Studs;
  • Racecourses and sales.

Other enterprises examined may include veterinary laboratories, veterinary practices or schools, equine sporting events, non-thoroughbred breeding and/or training centres, and auction houses.

In your second year you will explore:

• Applied Nutrition of horses;
  • Comparative exercise physiology;
  • Mammalian reproductive anatomy and physiology;
  • Research skills.

In the third year you will study:

• Equine stud management;
  • Advanced equine nutrition;
  • Digestive disorders;
  • Behaviour and welfare.

How will I be taught?

We teach our students through lectures, seminars, workshops, practicals, field visits and lab work. You will receive thorough training in concepts, research and methodology relating to equine science. You will explore this learning in laboratory research and experimentation, as well as hands-on exercises.

We assess our students through:

• Essays;
  • Practical exercises;
  • Oral presentations;
  • Exams;
  • Lab reports;
  • Practical reports;
  • Portfolios;
  • Reflective diaries;
  • Feed analysis and / or rationing exercises;
  • Magazine articles;
  • Webpages;
  • Podcasts.

Student Views

D322 Equine Science, is a tight-knit course involving some of the most enthusiastic and knowledgeable lecturers! The trips that are available to us are fuelled by passion for the equine industry. Modules entwine perfectly; this may seem unlikely at first, but at the end your thirst for knowledge is successfully fulfilled! The fact that the university is located in some of the most beautiful coastal scenery is nothing more than a bonus! Ria Mclean

Studying Equine Science has allowed me to gain an in-depth knowledge of biology whilst also applying what I am learning to the subject area I am interested in and want to base my career around. This specificity of this course also means I am surrounded by people who have similar interests, and we inspire one another to perform to the best of our abilities. Daniel Rutland Barrington

I enjoyed the time I spent in Aberystwyth and quickly found that the Equine Science degree encouraged me to challenge what I already knew about horses. This experience allowed me to gain a strong foundation in equestrian knowledge that I now use to integrate new information gained from continuing professional development.
Jenni - Equine Behaviour and training consultant

I returned to Higher Education as a mature student and have very fond memories of Aber and thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent there. If asked why I chose to study at Aberystwyth I would have to say that it was because of the warm welcome I received at my initial interview and for the excellent learning support facilities available
Elizabeth - Bloodstock Administrator for Tattersalls Ltd, Newmarket

I found the BSc Equine Science course really enjoyable; it offered a good balance between scientific theory and practical knowledge, not just related to horses, but other animals and humans, too. I have no regrets about choosing to study at Aber – it combines great tuition, support and facilities with a fantastic night-life. It’s a small, friendly place with stunning scenery – as a place to study, I’d recommend it to everyone
Melenie - Editorial Assistant, Horse & Rider Magazine

Discover More

Typical Entry Requirements

A Levels BCC-BBC with B in Biology or Human Biology. Candidates taking a science A level with an associated practical skills assessment will also be required to pass the practical component.

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics and a Science subject

BTEC National Diploma:
DDM

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
30 points overall with 5 points in Biology or Chemistry at Higher Level

European Baccalaureate:
70% overall with 70% in a science subject

Applicants are considered on their individual merits and offers can vary. For further information, please contact ug-admissions@aber.ac.uk

Back to the top