In choosing to study this Business Information Technology degree you'll be immersing yourself in how professionals manipulate technology to answer business problems. With exposure to the key building blocks for business efficiency that includes Systems Analysis, Database Applications, Business Environment, E-Commerce and E-Business systems, Web Programming and Web Tools, you'll quickly learn how to analyse business requirements and translate them into effective business systems. On successful completion of the Business Information Technology degree you'll have amassed the range of core and essential skills and capabilities sought by employers of this discipline.
Department of Computer Science: 91% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)
93% of undergraduates from the Department of Computer Science who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)
- Teaching & Learning
- Student Views
Why study Business Information Technology at Aberystwyth University?
- Employability embedded in the structure of this degree
- Our research ranked 11th in the UK and 1st in Wales (Times Higher Education)
- Access to dedicated Linux, Mac OS X laboratories and central servers
- Taught by lecturers who have close links with the industry and software engineering conferences
Almost all of the Department of Computer Science Lecturers and Teaching Fellows are qualified to PhD level, and those who are not have considerable research or industrial experience. All new Lecturers and Teaching Fellows are required to obtain the PGCTHE, and hence are Senior Fellows or Fellows of the Higher Education Academy. The department also employs a number of part time demonstrators and tutors and some student demonstrators, who are selected from our undergraduate and postgraduate students. Research fellows and research assistants (mostly PhD qualified) may also be involved in delivering occasional teaching when it is appropriate.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
Introduction To Computer Infrastructure
Web Development Tools
Professional And Personal Development
Introduction To Programming
Programming Using An Object-oriented Language
Introduction To Financial Management
Problems And Solutions
Chaos, Communications And Consciousness
The Mathematics Driving License For Computer Science
Modules delivered partially or entirely through the medium of Welsh
Our degree prepares you for a variety of careers:
- Communications and networking
- Web development
- IT consultancy and management
- Systems analysis and development
- Computer Sales and marketing
What skills do I acquire from this degree?
As part of your degree you will be required to take part in a residential where you and other students will have work in teams to solve problems.
This activity will encourage and improve:
- Communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Time Management
- Working Independently and as part of a team
- Organisation skills
- Implementation skills
- Research skills
- Technical skills
Students wishing to undertake work experience that may enhance your career prospects are encouraged to consider our sister course (G501), this course is identical to G500, however you will have an additional year to gain some valuable work experience in the related industry. Click here to find out more.
Teaching & Learning
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.
In your first year you will explore:
- Web development
- Problems + Solutions
- Business Environment
In your second year you will discover:
- Programming for the Web
- Data Modelling
- Web Design and the user experience
- Applied Graphics
- Software Engineering
In your third year you will undertake:
- Business Information Technology Group project
- Professional Issues in the computing industry
- Web-based major project
How will I be taught?
- Our enthusiastic staff will teach you through the medium of lectures, seminars, tutorials, practicals and individual/ group based project work.
- You will be assessed through a combination of coursework, practicals, projects, workshops and examinations.
- You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
- You will also have the opportunity to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP) at Aberystwyth. This is a structured process of self-appraisal, reflection, and planning, which will enable you to chart your personal, academic and professional development throughout your time at university. By recording your academic performance, and highlighting the skills you already have and those you will need for future employability, the PDP portfolio will equip you with the necessary tools to plan effectively, develop successful approaches to study, and consider your future career options and aspirations.
The Business Information Technology degree at Aberystwyth University instantly appealed to me as soon as I came across it in the prospectus. As I had a really strong interest in computers and how they benefit businesses, I knew this degree would be ideal for me as the degree doesn’t involve intense programming, compared to a Computer Science degree. The staff and teaching fellows in the department are so helpful and are always willing to give you extra support outside of lessons if you are struggling. Since I joined the Department of Computer Science I haven’t looked back at all - it's been a superb experience. Samuel Mills
Perfect for someone who is interested in computers like myself but doesn't have particularly strong programming knowledge. Wide range of modules on offer across several departments that are also interesting. Kyle Jordon Holloway
A Levels BBC
GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
28 points overall