BSc Business Finance at Aberystwyth University is accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. If you are interested in focusing on the diverse world of finance and the factors that influence financial policy, then this is the degree for you. Aberystwyth Business School has strong links with business and industry, which open up a number of opportunities for you. By studying this degree, you will develop a firm understanding of the following areas: financial strategy; banking conduct; financial services and government regulation. These attributes will be highly sought after by employers of this discipline.
Student Satisfaction and Employability Results
Top 10 in the UK for Teaching Quality for the subject of Business & Management Studies (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019)
Aberystwyth Business School: 91% overall student satisfaction (NSS 2018)
97% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 3% more than Business and Administrative Studies graduates nationally (HESA 2018*)
Why study Business Finance at Aberystwyth University?
- The BSc in Business Finance will enable you to develop your analytical, communicational skills to understand and negotiate in an increasingly complex business environment.
- By studying the BSc in Business Finance, you will be part of a history of successful graduates. This was demonstrated in the recent Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey where 95% of our graduates were in employment or further study 6 months after graduation. (HESA 2017).
- Throughout the academic year, we invite guest speakers for industry (local and national small, medium and large enterprises) to share their expertise and knowledge to our cohort of students. This has been a popular addition to the extra-curricular events of the academic timetable and gives you a valuable opportunity to network with those who may become your future employer.
- Our International Study Exchange programmes are available to all students, who demonstrate academic success during the first academic year. The International and Eramsus exchange programme allow you to explore a new country and study in one of our reputable partner universities through the medium of English.
Students at the Aberystwyth Business School are taught by lecturers and other teaching staff who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
Over 75% of full time members of teaching staff are qualified to PhD level. Most are currently research active, meaning that students benefit from being taught ‘new’ knowledge in their chosen field of study as well as recognized literature. The School also employs part-time and full time staff devoted purely to teaching. Many part-time staff combine teaching duties with consultancy and business activities, ensuring that students have access not only to up to date research but the latest applied knowledge.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
|Module Name||Module Code||Credit Value|
|Business Environment *||MM11220||20|
|Financial Accounting 1||AC11020||20|
|Introduction to Financial Management||AC10710||10|
|Introduction to Management *||MM11020||20|
|Introduction to Management Accounting||AC10510||10|
|Quantitative Skills and Methods||AC12220||20|
* Also available partially or entirely through the medium of Welsh
|Module Name||Module Code||Credit Value|
|Firms, Markets and Pricing||MM33220||20|
|Corporate Finance and Financial Markets||AC30520||20|
|Financial Accounting 2||AC32920||20|
|Management Research Methods||MM33920||20|
|The Business Cycle and Macroeconomic Policy||EC32520||20|
Career prospects: From Campus to Career
Our graduates have discovered careers in:
- Financial strategy;
- Actuarial profession;
- Corporate banking;
- Investment analysis;
- Financial trading;
- Retail banking.
What skills will I obtain from this degree?
Studying a degree in Business Finance will equip you with the following skills:
- Understanding of organisational behaviour and structure;
- Improved numeracy skills and the ability to research, interpret and use business and financial data;
- Deep understanding of the causes and effects of economic and other external changes;
- The ability to communicate clearly written and spoken;
- Effective problem solving;
- Analytical and creative thinking skills;
- Decision- making;
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Time-management and organisational skills;
- Self-motivation and self- reliance.
What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying?
Discover more about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Teaching & Learning
What will you learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.
In your first year you may discover:
- Financial accounting;
- Management Accounting;
- Financial Management;
- Quantitative skills and methods;
- Business Environment.
In your second and third year you may explore and study:
- Investments and financial instruments;
- Corporate finance;
- European and International monetary systems.
How will I be taught?
You will be taught through lectures, seminars and tutorials of which are in small groups. You will be required on some modules to deliver presentations, work effectively as part of a group and undertake any essays that are required from you.
At Aberystwyth University, all our modules are placed online for you to study further in the comfort of your room. We also have a wealth of printed texts which are available in our library and the National Library of Wales.
The course is assessed by:
- Assessed essays;
- Dissertation (certain modules).
You will be allocated a personal tutor for the duration of degree at Aberystwyth University.
It provides a vast array of knowledge applicable to business as well as world markets. I find it challenging, but incredibly rewarding at the same time. The tutors are incredibly approachable and always there to talk to and are ready to help whenever you need some guidance. All the careers advice that I have received so far has really helped me to shape the direction that I would ideally like to go in, in the future. Harry James Geyton
Typical Entry Requirements
A Levels BBB
GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
28 points overall
The University operates an inclusive admissions policy and our offers can vary. Please refer to our country-specific pages for details of the international qualifications we accept. For further information, contact email@example.com