Typical A-level offer
BBC with B in Spanish unless to be studied as a beginner
The BSc in Business and Management with Spanish within the Aberystwyth Business School will prepare you for the perfect introduction to a career in the business world. This degree is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountant (CIMA). Our teaching experts will guide you through areas of marketing, operations management, finance, accounting, strategy and human resource management, entrepreneurship in addition to the range of cutting-edge specialist modules. You will also see your Spanish language competencies improve with the Department of Modern Languages, where you will learn the language and the culture. This degree is engineered for a student who wants to excel and succeed to the top level of global business management practice.
Top 10 in the UK for student satisfaction in the subject area of Business (NSS 2016)
Top 5 in the UK for student satisfaction in the subject area of Spanish (NSS 2016)
Aberystwyth Business School: 90% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)
96% of undergraduates from the Aberystwyth Business School who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)
Department of Modern Languages: 96% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)
96% of undergraduates from the Department of Modern Languages who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)
- Teaching & Learning
Why study Business and Management and Spanish at Aberystwyth University?
- Accreditation from the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.
- Taught in the state of the art Aberystwyth Business School.
- Insight into the world of enterprise.
- An understanding of the impact of changes in the business environment e.g. economic events.
- Spanish Language and Culture.
On completion of this degree you will possess;
- A broad understanding of management in practice
- The ability to communicate in both English and Spanish
- In-depth knowledge of trade and commerce in both the public and private sector
- A solid grasp in the complexity of management challenges and the combined impact of the economic, financial, human and legal issues that managers deal with.
Students at the Aberystwyth Business School are taught by lecturers and other teaching staff who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
Over 75% of full time members of teaching staff are qualified to PhD level. Most are currently research active, meaning that students benefit from being taught ‘new’ knowledge in their chosen field of study as well as recognized literature. The School also employs part-time and full time staff devoted purely to teaching. Many part-time staff combine teaching duties with consultancy and business activities, ensuring that students have access not only to up to date research but the latest applied knowledge.
All of the lecturers in the Dept of Modern Languages are qualified to PhD level and are research active. We also employ language tutors, some of whom have a PhD, and all of whom are experienced teachers. We occasionally employ native-speakers from our partner universities abroad (lectors) who come to us highly recommended on the basis of their academic achievement at the home university, and many of whom have trained as teachers. The fourth group is part-time staff who are employed on the basis of their expertise in a particular specialist area.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
- Business Leadership and Corporate Responsibility
- Business Strategy *
- Human Resource Management *
- Spanish Language
- Actualidades *
- Contemporary Issues in Management
- Employability Skills for Professionals
- Marketing Case Studies
- Small Business Management and Entrepreneurship *
- Strategic Marketing *
* Also available partially or entirely through the medium of Welsh
What can I do with a degree in Business Management and Spanish?
Our graduates have entered and are successful in a number of sectors:
- Chartered accountancy
- Investment Banking
- Risk Management
- Retail Management
- Marketing Management
- Distribution and Logistics Management
- Sales Executive
- Health Service Management
- Fashion Industry
What skills do I obtain from this degree?
Studying a degree in Business Management with Spanish will equip you with the following skills:
- Understanding of organisational behaviour and structure
- The ability to communicate effectively in both Spanish and English across a wide range of audiences
- Improved numeracy skills and the ability to research, interpret and use business and financial data
- Deep understanding of the causes and effects of economic and other external changes
- The ability to communicate clearly written and spoken
- Effective problem solving
- Analytical and creative thinking skills
- Decision- making
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Time-management and organisational skills
- Self-motivation and self- reliance
What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying?
Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Teaching & Learning
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the four year degree scheme.
In your first year you will explore:
- Fundamental principles of management
- The dynamics of the modern business environment
- The use of financial and accounting information in management decisions at operational and strategic levels
- Marketing principles and the relationship between management and organisation
- In all four year you will have four weekly hours of language work
- Learn the founding moment of Spanish culture
- Have the choice to study general modules on film, language and identity
In your second year you will discover:
- The organisational behaviour and theory
- Theories and techniques of operations management
- Market structures and pricing strategies
- The skills, analytical tools and techniques to identify and address problems and opportunities in business management and marketing
- Optional choice of Spanish literature, language, history of art
In your third year you will take part in your Erasmus year abroad where you can study with any of our partner Universities in Spain through the Erasmus + programme, or teach as an English Language Assistant in Spain through the British Council.
In your final year, you will study;
- The business strategy and how it functions both internally and externally to the business environment
- Human resource management
- The understanding of current management thinking from both practical and theoretical perspectives
- A compulsory independent research project which will give you the opportunity to specialise in a particular aspect of business management and marketing
- Optional modules are available to allow you to direct your learning and preferred specialism in Spanish and Business
How will I be taught?
You will be taught through lectures, seminars and tutorials of which are in small groups. You will be required on some modules to deliver presentations, work effectively as part of a group and undertake any essays that are required from you.
At Aberystwyth University, all our modules are placed online for you to study further in the comfort of your room. We also have a wealth of printed texts which are available in our library and the National Library of Wales.
The course is assessed by;
- Assessed essays
- Dissertation (certain modules)
- You will be allocated a personal tutor for the duration of degree at Aberystwyth University.
Typical Entry Requirements
A Levels BBC with B in Spanish unless to be studied as a beginner
GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
DMM with specified subject
104 - 112
25 points overall with 5 points in Spanish at Higher Level unless to be studied as a beginner
75% overall with 70% in Spanish unless to be studied as a beginner
Applicants are considered on their individual merits and offers can vary. For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org