BSc

Biochemistry

Key Facts

Code C700
  • Typical A-level offer

BBC-BBB with B in Chemistry

• Course Length

3 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

In choosing to study the Genetics and Biochemistry Degree at Aberystwyth University you will work at the forefront of these exciting disciplines. Genetics has almost limitless potential to help understand human health and disease, evolution, and the diversity of living things. Complementing this, biochemistry provides a mechanistic understanding of how genes dictate the biology of an organism. The Genetics and Biochemistry Degree combines these two disciplines, with a focus on studying the molecular genetics of health and disease. Building upon a foundation that includes key genetics and biochemistry understanding, you will soon start to specialise human genetics, gene expression, developmental and cancer biology, biotechnology, genetic engineering and pharmacology. Upon successful completion of the Genetics and Biochemistry Degree you will have the skills and attributes necessary for diverse careers that include biomedical research, forensic science, DNA profiling, clinical cytogenetics and genetic counselling amongst others.

96% student satisfaction on our Biochemistry degree scheme (NSS 2016)

Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS): 91% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)

92% of undergraduates from IBERS who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

Why study Biochemistry at Aberystwyth University?

• This degree will give you a solid foundation in the study of cellular, molecular and chemical biology
  • We will nurture both your intellectual curiosity and your general scientific practice
  • The subject is taught within an internationally recognised centre of excellence, by experts in the Biochemistry field
  • The University has state-of- the- art teaching facilities with over £55 million pounds invested
  • The Biochemistry teaching staff are recognised as expert and innovative educators

If you are interested in this course BSc Biochemistry C700, then you may well be interested in our MBiol Biochemistry (C709) and our BSc in Genetics and Biochemistry (CC47).

Our Staff

The majority of teaching staff at the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences are qualified to PhD level and are research active. Vocational courses also have staff whose background lies within industry.  The Institute has a large number of research only staff with whom students may have contact.

Modules

Employability

Employability

What opportunities are available for me?

Some of our graduates have pursued career paths with the following; 

• GlaxoSmithKline
  • Astra Zeneca
  • Education
  • Research
  • Laboratories 

What will I get from my degree?

Employability is embedded in our teaching. We are linked closely with the Biochemical society, which is a great platform for students to network with others in their discipline.

Our students leave Aberystwyth University with the skills including; 

• research and data analysis skills
  • enhanced mathematical and computational skills
  • effective problem-solving and creative thinking skills
  • a thorough grounding in information technology skills
  • the ability to work independently
  • time-management and organisational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines the ability to express ideas and communicate 
  • information in a clear and structured manner, in both written and oral form
  • self-motivation and self-reliance
  • team-working, with the ability to discuss concepts in groups, accommodating different ideas and reaching agreement

What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying? 

Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer. 

Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department. 

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.

In your first year you will explore;

• The diversity of biological disciplines which includes;
  • Structure and function of plants
  • Animals and microbes at the organismal, cellular molecular levels
  • Major animal vertebrate and invertebrate which will focus on;
  • Physiology, muscle and locomotion, nutrition, endocrinology, cardiovascular respiratory systems and homeostasis
  • The diversity of microbial  
  • Vegetation and ecosystems

In your second year you will discover;

• Cell biology
  • Immunology
  • Chromosomes
  • Molecular biology
  • Qualitative and Quantitative procedures of data analysis

In your third year you will study and undertake;

• Bioinformatics
  • Genomics
  • Pharmacology
  • Microbes
  • A compulsory dissertation

How will I be taught?

The course will be delivered through lectures, workshops, tutorials and practicals. 

You will be assessed through;

• Essays
  • Practical exercises
  • Oral presentations
  • Worksheets
  • Reports
  • Statistical exercies
  • Dossiers
  • Posters
  • Portfolios
  • Wikis
  • Reflective diaries
  • Literature reviews
  • Magazine articles
  • Field notebooks
  • Exams

Student Views

The Genetic and Biochemistry course improved my professional performance and influenced my future achievements.  Understanding of the sciences process helped me to develop a scientific point of view on life. I was fully satisfied with my course and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is passionate about science and plans to start a career in a science-related environment.Zofia Slowik

The course curriculum of Biochemistry managed to get the balance between studying wider concepts key to the bigger picture of life science and the much more exact details of specific areas of molecular biology perfectly. It was great to be learning about very specialised topics of biology, whilst also studying an approach to research that has wider applications. Studying Biochemistry was thoroughly enjoyable, and gave a range of module choices whilst always keeping the core subjects and concepts at the heart of the course.  Alex Pike

My course offers a range of module options allowing me to follow my interests as well as a large amount of practical work to reinforce the theory. Carwyn John Evans

Biochemistry is a very interesting and competitive course which helps me to develop my knowledge and understanding of science and the medical field. Throughout the Biochemistry course I have developed my practical skills because I have spent a lot of time in the laboratories, taking part in many experiments during the academic year. Madalina Dragomir

My degree in Genetics and Biochemistry gave me a good grounding that prepared me very well for my PhD. In fact, one of the courses, Gene Expression and Developmental Genetics inspired me to work in the area of Developmental Biology, which is what I work at today. I will be eternally grateful for the chance I was given and the teaching I received. Roger – Professor of Neuroscience, University of Copenhagen

Entry Requirements

A Levels BBC-BBB with B in Chemistry

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics and a Science subject

BTEC National Diploma:
DDM

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
30 points overall with 5 points in Chemistry at Higher Level

European Baccalaureate:
65-70% overall with 75% in specified subject

Back to the top