BSc

Animal Science

Key Facts

Code D306
  • Typical A-level offer

BBC-BBB with B in Biology or Human Biology

• Course Length

3 Years

Further details on entry requirements

Apply Now

Animal science is the science of the animals that are used by man. In Aberystwyth, this means farm animals, horses and companion animals. Animal scientists study the nutrition, breeding, fertility, health, behaviour, physiology and anatomy of a wide range of domesticated animals. Our students develop the skills required for successful careers using these animals on a daily basis.

Here’s why we think that Aberystwyth is a great place to be an animal scientist!

• Passionate teaching staff who conduct research in all areas of animal science.
  • Great module choice within the course, allowing you to concentrate on the species of most interest to you
  • Fantastic modern laboratories, farms, equine centre, aquarium and microscopy suite
  • Opportunities for foreign exchanges
  • An award winning institute environment 

1st in the UK for student satisfaction in the subject area of Animal Science (NSS 2016)
100% student satisfaction on our Animal Science degree scheme (NSS 2016)

Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS): 91% student satisfaction (NSS 2016)

92% of undergraduates from IBERS who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further education six months after graduating (DLHE 2015)

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

Why study Animal Science at Aberystwyth University?

• Taught by enthusiastic teaching experts, who you may have already seen on TV documentaries or heard on your favourite radio show
  • A modern equine facility providing livery, competition and educational resources
  • Flexible course structure allowing you to focus on one of these areas in the second and third year: Companion Animal Science; Farm Animal Science; or Equine Science 
  • Over 1000Ha of farmland, including lowland and upland sheep farms, a 500 cow dairy herd, intensive and extensive beef production systems, an equine centre and a flock of layer poultry
  • A university woodland with over a hundred purpose built nest boxes and homes for nature 
  • Beautiful habitats on our doorstep, including marine, moorland, mountain, grassland and coast, providing you with a fabulous variety of fieldwork and recreational opportunities 
  • Charismatic species such as red kites, bottlenose dolphins, and more..  
  • A wonderful museum full of historic zoological specimens  

Want to study in Welsh?

Students can elect to study a number of IBERS modules in the medium of Welsh. Ask the department for further details!

Our Staff

The majority of teaching staff at the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences are qualified to PhD level and are research active. Vocational courses also have staff whose background lies within industry.  The Institute has a large number of research only staff with whom students may have contact.

Modules

Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.

Employability

What career prospects exist for me?

The degree will allow you to explore a career in:

• Assessing the welfare of domestic animals
  • Use of genetics to maximise the efficiency of breeding programmes for domestic animals
  • Animal nutrition
  • Teaching, including in further or higher education
  • Research across the spectrum of Animal Science
  • Scientific publishing
  • Laboratory work in both the private and public sector

What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying? 

Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.

Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department. 

What do I gain from studying Animal Science?

In addition to the degree-specific courses, our degree at Aberystwyth University teaches you a broad range of transferable skills such as observation, research, analysis and reflection.

You will also be studying in a department that has invested over £55 million in infrastructure of student facilities.

The department has close links with many learned societies such as the British Society for Animal Science, and international research institutions, which provide a great way of networking with those in your field. 

Teaching & Learning

What will I learn?

The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.

In the first year you will explore

• Anatomy and physiology of domesticated animals
  • Major farm animal production systems (beef, sheep, dairy, pig, broiler and egg)
  • Cell structure
  • Biomolecules
  • Genetics
  • Metabolism
  • And have training in communication and research skills

In your second year you will study;

• Mammalian reproductive anatomy and physiology relevant to livestock, equids and companion animals
  • Animal welfare
  • The immune system
  • You will be given an option to follow an equine, livestock or companion animal pathway, with modules specific to these pathways
  • Material necessary for your final year dissertation
  • An opportunity to undertake a period of work experience

In your third year you will investigate;

• Animal biotechnology
  • Animal breeding
  • Parasitology
  • Infectious diseases
  • You will continue to follow your chosen pathway, with its specific modules
  • And undertake a compulsory dissertation

How will I be taught?

Your course will be delivered through lectures, workshops, tutorials and practicals.

You will receive training in concepts, research and methodology relating to science of animal.This will be undertaken by laboratory research and experimentation, as well as hands-on exercises.

You will be assessed through;

• Essays
  • Practical exercise
  • Oral presentations
  • Worksheets
  • Reports
  • Statistical exercises
  • Dossiers
  • Posters
  • Portfolios
  • Wikis
  • Reflective diaries
  • Literature reviews
  • Magazine articles
  • Filed notebooks
  • Exams

Student Views

I love the practical aspect of the Animal Science course as well as the interesting lectures. Being able to choose a pathway means we are able to specialize and study what we are most interested in from the second year. Being based in Aberystwyth means there is plenty of scope for lambing and farm work alongside my studies. Lewis Wescott

The course has greatly increased my knowledge. It has opened many doors for my future career prospects or to go on to further study. Caitlin Jenkins

I chose Aberystwyth University because of the excellent reputation, wide variety of modules available and because of the horse riding facilities. I remember University life as a great mix of life with horses, meeting great friends with similar interests and studying topics that were close to my heart. Barbara - Commercial Manager, Animal Health for Charles River Laboratories

Doing Animal Science at Aberystwyth University was the best decision of my life – it has moulded me into the person I am today. Everyone was so friendly and the course was set at just the right level with great facilities from studying in the libraries to the practical sessions in the labs and field. My course helped me by giving me an insight into the farming industry alongside an in depth knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the animals I work with on a daily basis.
Dawn - Egg Marketing Inspector for Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency (AHVLA), part of DEFRA

Growing up in the east of England, I had never even set foot in Wales until I came to visit Aberystwyth University. I was sold on ‘Aber’ that day. Not only was the location truly beautiful but the Animal Science course really stood out alongside other universities I had applied for, allowing me to specialise in specific subject areas to suit my skills and interests.
Laura - Nutrition Advisor, Dodson and Horrell Ltd

Entry Requirements

A Levels BBC-BBB with B in Biology or Human Biology

GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics and a Science subject

BTEC National Diploma:
DDM

International Students

International Baccalaureate:
30 points overall with 5 points in Biology at Higher Level

European Baccalaureate:
65-70% overall with 75% in specified subject

Back to the top