Are you interested in gaining a greater understanding in one of the fastest growing sectors of the UK? Then our BSc Adventure Tourism Management degree at Aberystwyth University is you.
This degree is engineered to enable you to unlock and develop skills in the business, marketing and management of adventure tourism operations. You will also learn in a stimulating environment and study in a location where the opportunities for adventure are unparalleled, allowing you to understand this young industry in its development.
Aberystwyth Business School: 91% overall student satisfaction (NSS 2018)
97% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 3% more than Business and Administrative Studies graduates nationally (HESA 2018*)
- Our Tourism Management courses are in the top 10 in the UK (Complete University Guide, 2017).
- This degree is engineered for those wanting a career in tourism, the world's biggest industry.
- Study in location that is a stone throw away from some of the iconic tourist attractions namely, Snowdonia, Zip World Velocity, outdoor biking attractions and the Cardigan coast line.
- You will be taught by enthusiastic staff who are experts in the adventure tourism sector.
- During your degree, skills such as communication, time management, objective management will improve to employer standards.
- Enjoy many field trips to a variety of destinations inside and outside the UK.
Students at the Aberystwyth Business School are taught by lecturers and other teaching staff who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
Over 75% of full time members of teaching staff are qualified to PhD level. Most are currently research active, meaning that students benefit from being taught ‘new’ knowledge in their chosen field of study as well as recognized literature. The School also employs part-time and full time staff devoted purely to teaching. Many part-time staff combine teaching duties with consultancy and business activities, ensuring that students have access not only to up to date research but the latest applied knowledge.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
- Employability Skills for Professionals
- Independent Research Project in Management, Marketing and Tourism *
- Interpretation and Environmental Education
- Sustainable Tourism
- Tourism Marketing
* Also available partially or entirely through the medium of Welsh
What career prospects are there for you when you graduate?
Employability is embedded across our teaching. Our graduates have been successful in seeking employment in the following:
- Marketing Executive
- Travel Agency Manager
- Tourist Information Centre Manager
- Tour Manager
- Tourism Officer
- Event Organisation
- Hotel Manager
- Customer Service Sector
- Outdoor Pursuits Manager
What skills will I acquire from this degree?
Studying for a degree in Tourism Management will equip you with a range of transferable skills which are highly valued by employers:
- Ability to research, interpret and analyse business and financial data
- Ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner, in both written and oral form
- Effective problem-solving
- Analytical and creative thinking skills
- Ability to work independently
- Time-management and organisational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines
- Self-motivation and self-reliance
- Team-working, with the ability to discuss concepts in groups, accommodating different ideas and reaching agreement
What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying?
Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Teaching & Learning
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.
In your first year you will explore:
- Tourism principles
- Tourism system
- Marketing principles
- The business environment and management
- And acquire basic communication skills in either French or Spanish
In your second year you will investigate:
- Adventure Tourism and outdoor recreation
- Destination and attraction management
- International Tourism
In your third year you will discover:
- Sustainable tourism
- Tourism marketing
- Development and planning
- Your independent research project
How will I be taught?
We deliver our courses in the medium of lectures, seminars and tutorials.
You will be assessed through essays, business plans, reports, reflective journals, projects, presentations and examinations.
We will assign you a personal tutor who will be with you throughout your degree, this person will help you any problems whether these are academic-related or personal issues.
You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
You will also have the opportunity to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP) at Aberystwyth. This is a structured process of self-appraisal, reflection, and planning, which will enable you to chart your personal, academic and professional development throughout your time at university. By recording your academic performance, and highlighting the skills you already have and those you will need for future employability, the PDP portfolio will equip you with the necessary tools to plan effectively, develop successful approaches to study, and consider your future career options and aspirations.
Typical Entry Requirements
A Levels BBC
GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
28 points overall
The University operates an inclusive admissions policy and our offers can vary. Please refer to our country-specific pages for details of the international qualifications we accept. For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org