This multi-accredited BSc Accounting and Finance with Management degree offers you the chance to unlock and develop your technical knowledge, skills and expertise, while gaining professional recognition from the world’s leading accountancy bodies such as the ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA, CII and ICSA.
This degree is designed for students who are clearly focused on working in accountancy in a managerial capacity. Additional topics covered include financial reporting, management accounting, corporate finance, taxation, audit and computerised accounting systems.
Aberystwyth Business School: Top 10 in the UK for student satisfaction for teaching on subjects of Marketing/ Economics/ Finance (NSS 2017)
95% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 2% more than Business and Administrative Studies graduates nationally. (HESA 2017)
Why study Accounting & Finance with Management at Aberystwyth?
- This programme will help fast-track your accountancy career by giving you exemptions from key professional examinations.
- Enhance your career opportunities through our partnerships with businesses, industry and commerce.
- Fully refurbished facilities- we have invested over 100 million pounds in refurbishment of student facilities.
- Our degree generates a high and successful level of graduates who enter employment or further training 6 months after graduating.
- We have arrangements with many partner universities overseas to deliver short academic programmes (2 weeks) to small groups of management and business students (on a self-funding basis), to enable you to experience the impact of the cultural environment when conducting business abroad. We currently have partner universities in India, China, Russia, Japan, the United Arab Emirates and Brazil and our portfolio of countries is rapidly expanding.
Students at the Aberystwyth Business School are taught by lecturers and other teaching staff who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
Over 75% of full time members of teaching staff are qualified to PhD level. Most are currently research active, meaning that students benefit from being taught ‘new’ knowledge in their chosen field of study as well as recognized literature. The School also employs part-time and full time staff devoted purely to teaching. Many part-time staff combine teaching duties with consultancy and business activities, ensuring that students have access not only to up to date research but the latest applied knowledge.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
- Chartered Accountant
- Chartered Certified Accountant
- Chartered Management Accountant
- Chartered Public Finance accountant
- Investment Analysis
- Financial Risk Analyst
- Civil Service
- Diplomatic Service
- Local Government
What skills will I obtain from this degree?
Studying a degree in Accounting and Finance/ Economics will equip you with the following skills:
- Understanding of organisational behaviour and structure
- Improved numeracy skills and the ability to research, interpret and use business and financial data
- Deep understanding of the causes and effects of economic and other external changes
- The ability to communicate clearly written and spoken
- Effective problem solving
- Analytical and creative thinking skills
- Decision- making
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Time-management and organisational skills
- Self-motivation and self- reliance
What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying?
Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Teaching & Learning
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.
In your first year you may discover:
- The three key areas of financial accounting, management accounting, financial management
- Quantitative methods
- The business environment and management roles
In your second year you may explore:
- Financial and Management accounting further
- Investment analysis
- Portfolio and risk management
- Human resource management
- Organisational behaviour
- The legal issues pertinent to the business environment
In your third year you may study:
- The implantation of business strategy
- The importance of management and strategic decision making within organisations
- And further develop your competencies in management and financial accounting and focus on corporate finance
How will I be taught?
Our course is taught through the medium of lectures, small-group seminars and tutorials. All our modules are available online after the lecture or seminar for you to watch in the comfort of your own room.
You will be assessed through;
- Assessed essays
You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
You will also have the opportunity to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP) at Aberystwyth. This is a structured process of self-appraisal, reflection, and planning, which will enable you to chart your personal, academic and professional development throughout your time at university. By recording your academic performance, and highlighting the skills you already have and those you will need for future employability, the PDP portfolio will equip you with the necessary tools to plan effectively, develop successful approaches to study, and consider your future career options and aspirations.
It provides a vast array of knowledge applicable to business as well as world markets. I find it challenging, but incredibly rewarding at the same time. The tutors are very approachable and always there to talk to and are ready to help whenever you need some guidance. All the careers advice that I have received so far has really helped me to shape the direction that I would ideally like to take in the future. Harry James Geyton
The Accounting and Finance degree has given me a broad understanding of business and allowed me to build on my knowledge of industry and the economy as a whole. I love studying accounting because it gives me a totally different perspective on the world of business. Accounting is so much more than most people think it is; it's not just people sitting around doing book-keeping. It has allowed me to break down companies and given me a much better understanding of their intricacies as well as their potential. Emma Louise Taberner
Typical Entry Requirements
A Levels BBB
GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
28 points overall
Applicants are considered on their individual merits and offers can vary. For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org