This multi-accredited BSc in Accounting and Finance degree offers you the chance to develop and practise your technical knowledge, skills and expertise, while gaining professional recognition from the world’s leading accountancy bodies such as the ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW, CIPFA, CII, ICSA. Topics covered include financial reporting, management accounting, corporate finance, taxation, audit, and computerised accounting systems.
Aberystwyth Business School: Top 10 in the UK for student satisfaction for teaching on subjects of Marketing/ Economics/ Finance (NSS 2017)
95% of our graduates were in work or further study within 6 months, 2% more than Business and Administrative Studies graduates nationally. (DLHE 2017)
- Teaching & Learning
- Student Views
Why study Accounting and Finance at Aberystwyth?
- This programme will help fast-track your accountancy career by giving you exemptions from key professional examinations
- Taught by qualified accountants with a wealth of industry and academic experience
- Fully refurbished facilities- we have invested over £100 million in refurbishment of student facilities
- Our degree generates a high and successful level of graduates who enter employment or further training 6 months after graduating
Students at the Aberystwyth Business School are taught by lecturers and other teaching staff who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
Over 75% of full time members of teaching staff are qualified to PhD level. Most are currently research active, meaning that students benefit from being taught ‘new’ knowledge in their chosen field of study as well as recognized literature. The School also employs part-time and full time staff devoted purely to teaching. Many part-time staff combine teaching duties with consultancy and business activities, ensuring that students have access not only to up to date research but the latest applied knowledge.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
Our degrees will prepare you for these professions:
- Chartered Accountant
- Chartered Certified Accountant
- Chartered Management Accountant
- Chartered Public Finance Accountant
- Accountant technician
Some of our graduates have also explored other pathways:
- Tax Advisor
- Investment analyst
- Financial trader
- Retail banker
Careers and Employability
- From the moment you arrive at the Aberystwyth Business School we will work with you to build on your skills and experience to enhance your career prospects. During your time with us you will have the opportunity to:
- Undertake a work placement or internship through the AberForward scheme, which is a paid internship
- Work and network with employers from a range of national and multi-national companies through our visiting speaker programme
- Take part in International Exchange Programmes
What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying?
Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Teaching & Learning
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.
In your first year you will discover:
- The three key areas of Financial Accounting, Management Accounting and Financial Management
- Quantitative techniques and the use of specialist statistical software
In your second year you will explore:
- Investment analysis
- Portfolio selection and risk management
- The specific rules and practices of accounting in fields such as audit and taxation
- Corporate governance
- Financial and management accounting
- Business Law
In your final year you will study:
- Trends in management accounting
- Financial accounting and corporate finance
- Options to focus on auditing, taxation or financial statement analysis
How will I be taught?
Our course is taught through the medium of lectures, small-group seminars and tutorials. All our modules are available online after the lecture or seminar for you to watch in the comfort of your own room.
You will be assessed through:
- Assessed essays
- You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
I love how enthusiastic our lecturers are. They are all willing to help out and they understand that some of us actually don't want to be accountants, and are willing to just help us get good grades in our exams. They are also REALLY approachable! Rowan Kemeys
It provides a vast array of knowledge applicable to business as well as world markets. I find it challenging, but incredibly rewarding at the same time. The tutors are very approachable and always there to talk to and are ready to help whenever you need some guidance. All the careers advice that I have received so far has really helped me to shape the direction that I would ideally like to take in the future. Harry James Geyton
N400 Accounting and Finance degree has given me a broad understanding of business and allowed me to build on my knowledge of industry and the economy as a whole. I love studying accounting because it gives me a totally different perspective on the world of business. Accounting is so much more than most people think it is; it's not just people sitting around doing book-keeping. It has allowed me to break down companies and given me a much better understanding of their intricacies as well as their potential. Emma Louise Taberner
Typical Entry Requirements
A Levels BBB
GCSE requirements (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
BTEC National Diploma:
26 points overall
Applicants are considered on their individual merits and offers can vary. For further information, please contact email@example.com