MSc

Environmental Management

Key Facts

Course Code C197
  • Qualification

MSc

• Typical Course Length

1 Year

Apply Now

Our MSc in Environmental Management meets the needs of future environmental professionals and is regarded as one of the best vocational MSc courses in the country, attracting students from all over the world. Allowing you to develop a vocational network for future success, the unique MSc structure provided at IBERS offers scope for employment in a wide range of environmental areas.  Key skills and training are provided and industrial and research experiences are integrated into the course, allowing you to respond to and find solutions for problems, and to exploit opportunities and meet challenges in environmental management. 

• Overview
  • Modules
  • Employability
  • Teaching & Learning
  • Student Views

Overview

Why study MSc Environmental Management at Aberystwyth University?

• Aberystwyth is located in a high quality outdoor physical environment, situated between the Cambrian and Snowdonia mountain ranges, and offering habitats ranging from coastal to upland. Fieldwork opportunities are enhanced by our location.
  • We have a long and distinguished history of environmental teaching and research. This MSc programme was established at IBERS in 2005 and holds a significant international profile.
  • The course is taught by internationally recognised researchers, consultants and professionals operating across a wide range of environmental topics.
  • Undertake vocational and professional training in environmental management and be introduced to new technological advances and developments.
  • Opportunity to interact with professionals in the field and to develop a network of contacts that will help you to establish your future career.
  • This course was designed with employers from industry, environmental agencies and governmental and non-governmental organisations. Students benefit from interaction with these external bodies and develop skills that environmental employers target when recruiting.
  • Our most recent joint submission to the Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) displayed that 78% of our research is world-leading or internationally excellent, and 97% of our research is internationally recognised.
  • 76% of our joint submission to the most recent Research Excellence Framework was judged as world-leading in terms of research impact.
  • Our submission in conjunction with Bangor University was the 5th strongest submission in the UK  - REF 2014
Our Staff

The majority of teaching staff at the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences are qualified to PhD level and are research active. Vocational courses also have staff whose background lies within industry.  The Institute has a large number of research only staff with whom students may have contact.

Modules

Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.

Employability

Careers

Graduates from the course have moved on to successful careers:

• in environmental consultancy
  • in environmental regulation and monitoring
  • as Conservation Managers
  • as researchers in a wide range of research areas

Skills

Throughout this course, you will be empowered to:

• Develop a strong grounding in key environmental management skills
  • Enhance your scientific communication and team work skills
  • Enhance your problem solving and data handling skills
  • Develop study and research skills
  • Develop and display professionalism that will allow you to excel in any work environment 

Teaching & Learning

How will I learn?

This course is concentrated into one year. In the first two semesters (September-May), students complete 120 credits of taught modules, before completing a supervised 60 credit dissertation in the final semester (June-September).  

Much of the delivery of the course is based on ‘learning by doing’ through engaging with real life problems and challenges. Modules are delivered through combinations of lectures, workshops, fieldtrips, practicals, and tutorials, and are taught by academics and professional practitioners at the forefront of activity in the field.

What will I learn?

This course provides core environmental management modules, alongside the possibility to specialise in areas that are of particular interest to you. Modules cover environmental auditing, environmental law and environmental impact assessment (EIA), research skills and approaches, restoration and conservation, and environmental management in practice.

In the final semester you will undertake a 60 credit dissertation through which you can specialise in particular aspects of Environmental Management, often in collaboration with external organisations.

How will I be assessed?

Assessment for this course is varied and includes case studies, reports, group projects, presentations, essays, journalistic articles, examinations and online assignments.

Successful submission of the dissertation in the final semester leads to the award of an MSc. 

Student Views

After studying an Environmental Science BSc I studied the MSc Managing the Environment (now renamed Environmental Management) at Aberystywth University.  Since leaving university I have worked as a Graduate Environmental Consultant for Stratus Environmental and more recently have been employed as Ecological Surveyor with the South Wales Trunk Road Agent (SWTRA).  SWTRA are contracted by the Welsh Government to look after all major trunk roads and motorways in South Wales.  My primary role will be to carry out phase 1 habitat and National Vegetation Classification surveys along these soft areas mapping the results using GIS.  I believe my studies in Aberystwyth and the modules I took played a major role in me securing my new job.  I am thankful to Aberystwyth University in helping me obtain what I hope will be a dream job.  Elen