Typical Course Length
The MSc in Environmental Management meets the needs of a future environmental professional. It provides the key vocational skills and training to allow you to respond and find solutions for problems, to exploit opportunities and meet challenges in environmental management. We provide core environmental management modules, as well as opportunities for more specialist training in particular disciplines. Topics include recent advances on environmental issues, research skills and approaches, environmental auditing, project management, environmental law and environmental impact assessment (EIA). Much of the delivery of the course is based on ‘learning by doing’ through engaging with real life problems and challenges.
Modules are delivered by academics and professional practitioners at the forefront of activity in the field. Students from the UK and abroad who have completed the course have then gone on to careers as consultants, regulators, conservation managers and researchers.
- Teaching & Learning
- Student Views
Why study Environmental Management at Aberystwyth University?
- This MSc programme was established at IBERS in 2005 and is regarded as one of the best vocational MSc courses in the country. It holds a significant international profile and attracts students from all over the world.
- The programme is concentrated into one year and involves a core of key management skills with the opportunity to specialise.
- The MSc combines vocational and professional training in environmental management but also introduces new technological advances and developments.
- We provide a programme at the cutting edge of the subject. You will interact with professionals in the field and develop a network of contacts that will help you to establish your future career.
- We have a long and distinguished history of environmental teaching and world class research at IBERS. This course and structure was also designed with employers from industry, environmental agencies and governmental and non-governmental organisations.
- Students benefit from interaction with these external bodies and develop skills that environmental employers target when recruiting. We benefit for fieldwork opportunities from our wonderful location.
- Aberystwyth is a coastal town which lies between the Cambrian and Snowdonia mountain ranges in Wales, offering habitats ranging from coastal to upland.
- The course is taught by internationally recognised researchers, consultants and professionals operating across a wide range of environmental topics such as climate change, EIA, environmental auditing, environmental pollution, habitat conservation and restoration, terrestrial and aquatic ecology, and molecular ecology.
The majority of teaching staff at the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences are qualified to PhD level and are research active. Vocational courses also have staff whose background lies within industry. The Institute has a large number of research only staff with whom students may have contact.
Please note: The modules listed below are those currently intended for delivery during the next academic year and may be subject to change. They are included here to give an indication of how the course is structured.
Graduates from the course have moved on to successful careers in environmental consultancy, in environmental regulation and monitoring, and in a wide range of research areas.
Our students are provided with a range of vocational skills to enable them to enter professional employment in the Environmental sector or in research.
- Provision of top quality internationally recognised MSc training in Environmental Management with the opportunity to specialise.
- Developing and expecting levels of professionalism and excellence so that you are able to enter and excel in the work environment.
- Industrial and research experiences and interactions integrated into the course so that you are able to develop a vocational network for future success.
- Your own personal tutor that will help you through the journey from learning to employment.
- Your dissertation project allows for a degree of specialism within the general field of environmental management.
Teaching & Learning
IBERS offers excellent core and specialist MSc training under the umbrella title of Environmental Management. The course structure was developed to provide students with both a breadth and specialism of skills making them more competitive in the jobs market. Altogether we provide our students with world class experience and ensure that students make those all-important links and career networks both in the UK and abroad.
The course includes 20 credit modules on Frontiers in Bioscience, Research Methods, Environmental Auditing & Management, and Introduction to Environmental Law and Impact Assessment that provide a strong grounding in key environmental management skills. In the 40 credit Environmental Management in Practice module you to apply these skills to real life problems through a series of case studies and practical investigations which also provide opportunities to develop your particular areas of interest. The 60 credit Research project/dissertation module offers a further option for specialising in particular aspects of Environmental Management, often in collaboration with external organisations.
Importantly, the unique MSc structure provided at IBERS offers scope for employment in a wide range of environmental areas.
After studying an Environmental Science BSc I studied the MSc Managing the Environment (now renamed Environmental Management) at Aberystywth University. Since leaving university I have worked as a Graduate Environmental Consultant for Stratus Environmental and more recently have been employed as Ecological Surveyor with the South Wales Trunk Road Agent (SWTRA). SWTRA are contracted by the Welsh Government to look after all major trunk roads and motorways in South Wales. My primary role will be to carry out phase 1 habitat and National Vegetation Classification surveys along these soft areas mapping the results using GIS. I believe my studies in Aberystwyth and the modules I took played a major role in me securing my new job. I am thankful to Aberystwyth University in helping me obtain what I hope will be a dream job. Elen